Question about Parity

Background.....
At present I am stuck with 100Mb powerline adapters and am waiting the arrival of 1Gb adapters so transferring hundreds of large RAW files will take an age using the network. I am still in my first week of using Unraid so I'm not very experienced with it.

Workaround......

I am copying the files and folder structure onto a small NVME drive which is in a USB3 adapter then plugging the adapter into the Unraid box and copying to the relevant share using the command line i.e. 'sudo cp -E -R /mnt/disks/NVM/Photos /mnt/user/Media/Photos'

This copies the files to exactly where I want them in a fraction of the time it would using my current network speed.

The question is - By copying the files this way which I am pretty sure is bypassing Unraid, be the cause of the parity errors and subsequent parity chesk that occurs ??

To me. logic says this is the case as the files are being dumped in the share with the Unraid software having no knowledge of the copies and when it does it's checks flags the discrepancy in the parity drive. It seems to be rebuilding the parity and updating the parity drive while the array is still live.

Edited by Storeman
Missed out relevant information

No, you are not bypassing parity.    Once you have parity installed then all the /mnt/diskX and /mnt/user/? type paths are protected by parity.  If you get parity errors then it is due to something else going on.

BTW:  you do not need to use sudo as you are already the root user when logged into the command line.

Thanks - guessing it is the parity drive then, All the data drives are new external drives but the parity is one I've had for a while now.

Guess I need a new replacement. Probably go for a NAS specific drive this time. I bought the external drives as they are at this moment in time, the cheapest way to get 4TB disks.

As for sudo - it's a habit from using raspberry pi's on 3D printers. just got in the habit of using sudo when needing root access :)

Really appreciate the swift response. Everyday I learn a little more thanks to this forum.

Did a little more reading and a bit of digging around in the unraid gui and found it was reporting an error on the parity disk that was historical. Clicked on the little warning triangle in the drives list, acknowledged the error and as many have said in other posts, the error hasn't been notified again.

Should the drive encounter this error again, the smart value will change triggering the warning in unraid again. When that happens I know it will be time to replace the drive but for now, all is good.

Thanks for all the replies. They helped me a lot. Slowly getting my head around it but liking the functionality a lot.