Making a disc "off limits"

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

So do I, or actually, it is named "Public"

A user share named "internal" is at /mnt/user/internal. Any top level folder named "internal" on cache, or on any array disk not excluded in Global Share Settings, is part of the "internal" user share. So, /mnt/cache/internal, /mnt/disk1/internal, /mnt/disk2/internal ... are all part of the user share named "internal".

A user share named "public" is at /mnt/user/public. Any top level folder named "public" on cache, or on any array disk not excluded in Global Share Settings, is part of the "public" user share. So, /mnt/cache/public, /mnt/disk1/public, /mnt/disk2/public, ... are all part of the user share named "public".

So, as you can see, there is no way to have a user share named "internal" that refers to /mnt/cache/public, /mnt/disk1/public, (skip /mnt/disk2/public), ...

And anyway, I suspect that disk that you want to avoid accessing already contains several top level folders, and so already contains parts of several user shares. Each of those top level folders on that disk is part of the user share with the same name as that top level folder.

ahh ok, I kinda can work with that. 

the dockers writing to it use a shared folder anyway, so that can be on anything. there's only 2 dockers I'd have to dive into how they are doing their work. 

You really should just forget about how to work around this, and instead take care of why it isn't working correctly.

Anything else is compromising the rest of your array and its ability to recover if there is a problem with another disk.

Suppose that disk you have been having problems with is going along just fine. Maybe the fact that you are trying to avoid using it actually helps.

But then, another of your disks fails and needs to be rebuilt. For the rebuild, all disks must be read, including the disk you have been having problems with, in order to calculate the data for the failed disk. Now what happens if during that rebuild, that disk you have been having problems with disconnects again like it has been doing. Now what are you going to do?

Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

You really should just forget about how to work around this, and instead take care of why it isn't working correctly.

Anything else is compromising the rest of your array and its ability to recover if there is a problem with another disk.

Suppose that disk you have been having problems with is going along just fine. Maybe the fact that you are trying to avoid using it actually helps.

But then, another of your disks fails and needs to be rebuilt. For the rebuild, all disks must be read, including the disk you have been having problems with, in order to calculate the data for the failed disk. Now what happens if during that rebuild, that disk you have been having problems with disconnects again like it has been doing. Now what are you going to do?

Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

Well I do intend to fix the problem, fully am. I just want no downtime while doing so.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Or, just remove it from the array, rebuild parity without it, and if you do need any of its data, get it with the Unassigned Devices plugin.

my problem (also answer to your previous post) isn't that it has data that's irreplacable/important. The problem is that it's a big drive, so I can't just move around data.

1 minute ago, djmulder said:

my problem (also answer to your previous post) isn't that it has data that's irreplacable/important.

My question about backups isn't just about that disk. It is about your entire array that isn't reliable because of that one disk. Problems with that disk put your other disks at risk since if one of them does fail you may have trouble recovering its data because of the problems with that disk. 

4 minutes ago, djmulder said:

The problem is that it's a big drive, so I can't just move around data.

Not suggesting that you do anything with its data. Leave its data on that disk. Just remove that disk from the array and build parity without it. Then the rest of your array is protected, and that disk can still be accessed as an Unassigned Device.

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Just remove that disk from the array and build parity without it. Then the rest of your array is protected, and that disk can still be accessed as an Unassigned Device.

Let me know if you need advice on how to do this. It isn't complicated, but if you don't know how I can probably tell you easier than you can search for it or figure it out.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Let me know if you need advice on how to do this. It isn't complicated, but if you don't know how I can probably tell you easier than you can search for it or figure it out.

thx :) I have the plugin and I think I know how it works.

I think I'll just do that, kick it out of the raid. 

I'm also looking into the cooling of the whole machine, I think that's my next step. As stated earlier I'll just upload the log next time it fails

8 minutes ago, djmulder said:

I have the plugin

removing a disk from the array has nothing to do with any plugin. There is a script some use when "shrinking the array", but the point of that script is to completely wipe the disk to be removed, which I assume is not what you want to do.

Let us know when you are ready to remove the disk from the array. Lots of people besides me can help with that.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

removing a disk from the array has nothing to do with any plugin. There is a script some use when "shrinking the array", but the point of that script is to completely wipe the disk to be removed, which I assume is not what you want to do.

Let us know when you are ready to remove the disk from the array. Lots of people besides me can help with that.

oh no I meant to make it be an unassigned device. 

Removing a disk from the array is nothing more than re-creating the array config? (tools -> new config)

2 minutes ago, djmulder said:

Removing a disk from the array is nothing more than re-creating the array config? (tools -> new config)

That's it. New Config, then before starting the array, unassign the disk to be removed. DO NOT check the box that says parity is already valid, because you MUST rebuild parity. Then start the array to begin parity rebuild.