VM unresponsive and VM tab unresponsive

chris7r

Hey All.

I am currently testing Unraid and have a pretty good setup working for me.

Mostly its a media server but I am running VM's (Win 10) for some light gaming but mainly for my music production and for media creation (adobe suite)

I had my server off for a week, doing renovations to the studio, brought the PC back to the office/studio and in the past 4-5 days I have had these weird lock ups on my VM that has been working perfectly fine before the renovations. The VM completely locks up. No mouse or keyboard working. If I go to the VM's tab in unraid that just spins in a circle and I cant access the VM tab at all but the rest of the server is working as expected. Plex still runs fine. All my dockers are working fine. On reboot the VM's work again and I havent quite been able to figure out when the lock up is occuring. Sometimes happens when im just doing light internet browsing. Other times I am away then come back and its locked up, seems to vary in time. So I wasn't sure how to troubleshoot this.

The last lock up happened some point last night between 7pm-10:30pm when I was away. Shut the server down at about 11 trying to do some troubleshooting. Turned it on this morning and downloaded the diagnostics (do i need to do that before shutting down the server?). Anyone know what to look for?

Thank you

chris7r-diagnostics-20200914-0951.zip

Edited by chris7r
  • 2 weeks later...

So just an update, since this post I've run the VM multiple times and it hasnt crashed once. Honestly dont know why it was crashing everyday and now its been rock solid again. Typical take the car to the dealer and its fine type situation haha. 

Anyway thanks for the quick response. 

I'm now trying to troubleshoot some audio issues using an external USB audio interface for recording guitar but there are strange pops and crackles happening on the audio. Will search the forums and if I come up short will create another post. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is it all earthed correctly.

Maybe an unearthed mixer?

I had a similar (but not exactly) issue recently. (and I've seen the exact issue when I was a DJ)

I am running my server from an inverter (when the sun was out) but the monitor is running on the grid every time the sun came out the VM would crash but the rest of the system was fine.

I think it was earthing the PC through the HDMI cable.

It was a temporary setup because my main inverter had failed.

Went back to a good inverter that is designed to earth to the grid and everything was fine again (even the poor gpu)

Pop's and clicks..... just a thought.

Or Are you running a Beta version??

I'm now getting a similar ish issue again but the whole system just sort stalls.

Nothing crashes it just pauses for a minute or two. If I'm watching YouTube or something on the VM the video will freeze. Handbrake in docker is busy on my machine but I look and it's just sat mid encode at 0 fps, my other vm is normally rendering but if I check I see 0 cpu usage and I can do things with open tasks but not much else.

Then a few minutes later it all just goes again.

I get some task pinning a few random cores but no idea what it is and can't check because unresponsive.

I'm quite sure that this is because I'm running the beta (6.9.0 b25) (29 is unusable for me)

I'm stuck for now (maybe until the stable version comes out)

It's not the end of the world though as plex still works fine and nothing actually crashes.

I just can't use the VM for 2 minutes a day and no work gets done for a couple of minutes.

(No it's not anything to do with earthing like above)(unless something is fried)(hope not because threadrippers aren't cheap)

Update. My server has been sat for a while like this. In the vm I can resize the window that's open but can't even get the start menu up.

The UNRAID UI opens on my phone but docker and vm manager and even the dashboard aren't accessible.

So this time it actually has crashed.

Like I said I'm running a BETA though and a slight overclock so 🤷 

I'm starting to think my issue is to do with one of my user scripts.

Anyone know if there is a way to know what cores a user script would run on?

Seems like it might be pegging a VM core even though that's set in the cpu isolation menu.

There definitely seems to be a difference between what the vm is doing and the unraid dashboard sometimes.

(Overclock is now off and I'm going to think about going back to a different unraid build but that gets painful)