Advice wanted for photo renaming

unRaid v6.8.3

Somewhat new to unRaid, coming from Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm looking to corral my photos that get uploaded to iCloud from the family's phones. We have no "real" cameras, and I want to avoid plugging the phones in to download images onto the PC. I've successfully set up an icloudpd docker that is pulling my photos in from iCloud. Step one complete.

They go into a share labeled icloud, which is different from my "pictures" share. I want to rename the photos to year/month/DateTime.ext and move them to the pictures share, where most are already in this format. As expected, Apple has its own way it prefers to name things, and no way to do otherwise.

The contenders, as I see them, are:

FileBot

PhotoPrism

Digikam

lychee

None seem to be as straightforward as the app I had running on my Win box (RoboBasket), although FileBot is close.

- With FileBot, there is some problem with permissions and it won't move the files into the /mnt/user space where my pictures share is located.

- PhotoPrism is currently indexing my library and looks promising, but I'm not sure it will handle renaming and moving.

- Digikam is having trouble seeing my current library.

- lychee wants a db. I have MariaDb docker installed, but apparently have more to do with that to get it to play nicely with lychee.

- I may have to settle for copying the images from the iCloud share, since I don't want to move them, and have icloudpd download them again. Not sure how smart it is about that.

I'm happy to do the work of resolving the issues with each of these dockers, but would rather not invest the time if they're not going to do what I want.

Is there anyone out there who is doing something similar that would like to share their experience?

Perhaps another docker that would be better suited?

I warn you, I WILL HAVE QUESTIONS. I'm pretty tech literate, but working with linux-based OS's is, on the surface, a totally different beast than M$, and installation/setup is a steeper learning curve than I was expecting. There are many terms and procedures that take a while to get the hang of.

So please, purveyors of the Holy unRaid, let the wisdom spew forth!

Thanks in Advance,

Erik

FWIW, unRaid absolutely blows WHS2011 out of the water in every way beyond app installs, and has been well worth it thus far.

I do the same thing with DropBox and a Windows App called "Bulk Rename Utility". It is free and fantastic! You can add what every you want to as many files as you want dynamically. It fully supports all manner of renaming, including using the existing "Modified/Create Date", and also supports REGEX.

I prefix all of my photos//videos with the Modified Date and put it in a format of YYYY-MM-DD_HHmmss_Filename.extension. Works like a charm!

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk

mainscr.png

Edited by falconexe
58 minutes ago, falconexe said:

I do the same thing with DropBox and a Windows App called "Bulk Rename Utility". It is free and fantastic! You can add what every you want to as many files as you want dynamically. It fully supports all manner of renaming, including using the existing "Modified/Create Date", and also supports REGEX.

I prefix all of my photos//videos with the Modified Date and put it in a format of YYYY-MM-DD_HHmmss_Filename.extension. Works like a charm!

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk

So you have bulkrenameutility on a separate PC, and watch DropBox for added files, which it then renames and sends to unRaid?

Interesting...

A little more work-around-y than I was hoping for, but I'll give it some thought...

Thanks for the response!

Erik

Just now, ainuke said:

So you have bulkrenameutility on a separate PC, and watch DropBox for added files, which it then renames and sends to unRaid?

Interesting...

A little more work-around-y than I was hoping for, but I'll give it some thought...

Thanks for the response!

Erik

Yeah I just do it from Windows 10. I have DropBox download the photos locally, I rename them in batches by month, and then upload to UNRAID. There are a few reasons for this.

1. I did not know about the docker app you mentioned (thanks). Not sure if I will use it for security concerns (but a nice to know option).
  2. Dropbox has BULLETPROOF GeoUploading of my photos to the cloud. I have never missed one using my iPhones.
  3. NextCloud's auto GeoUpload on iOS is abysmal and kept missing files, so I could not trust it. So a pure UNRAID solution had to be scrapped.
  4. The DropBox docker app is something I could never figure out, since it appears to be CLI only. (never really looked into it seriously though)

So for me, iCloud is really just a backup, and I use Dropbox as my main source of truth. Once I upload to UNRAID, I delete them from the cloud. I have everything backed up locally, offsite, and in the cloud once final processing is completed.

Just one way to do it. Not the best, not the worst...

4 minutes ago, falconexe said:

On another note, you should check this out. 😁

Wow, that's something else; maybe for the future, LOL.

In the circles I run in, I start talking about running a home media server with automatic downloads of the shows we watch, and people look at me like I'm a freaking wizard. It looks like what you're into is on a whole other plane of existence... I haven't graduated from the vanilla unRaid UI. First function, then form.

I assume you're running Mass Effect servers?

1 minute ago, ainuke said:

Wow, that's something else; maybe for the future, LOL.

In the circles I run in, I start talking about running a home media server with automatic downloads of the shows we watch, and people look at me like I'm a freaking wizard. It looks like what you're into is on a whole other plane of existence... I haven't graduated from the vanilla unRaid UI. First function, then form.

I assume you're running Mass Effect servers?

No, I'm just a huge fan LOL. We actually run a media production company on our 2 servers. "MassEffect" and "MassRelay".

Edited by falconexe
1 minute ago, falconexe said:

No, I'm just a huge fan LOL. We actually run a media production company on our 2 servers. "MassEffect" and "MassRelay".

Ahhhh, got it.

I played ME 2&3 back in the day, but these days mostly VR flight sims. Any time I spend fussing with server stuff is less time flying...

I turns out switching over to unRaid from WHS was biting off more than I thought. And all because WHS would only recognize half my RAM...

Just now, ainuke said:

Ahhhh, got it.

I played ME 2&3 back in the day, but these days mostly VR flight sims. Any time I spend fussing with server stuff is less time flying...

I turns out switching over to unRaid from WHS was biting off more than I thought. And all because WHS would only recognize half my RAM...

Nice. I'm deep into MSFS 2020 and Elite Dangerous with a FULL HOTAS. Good times. Wish I had more time...