[SOLVED] [6.9.0-beta30] Syslog entirely empty all the time

Hi there,

I am new to unRAID. My trial period is nearly complete and there are just a few oddities I'm still trying to work out about my unRAID installation. This one sounds ridiculously simple, but I have been unable to find any forum posts or suggestions online that solve my issue...

I cannot seem to get syslog to work at all. I am not really sure what is going on, but there are never any messages generated from syslog. I have turned "Mirror syslog to flash" to ON, but I only ever see empty archives written to the USB stick. When I use `tail -f /var/log/syslog`, it never generates any additional text and just stays waiting forever. When I use `cat /var/log/syslog` it never prints a single line. I have not setup a remote or local syslog server, but my understanding is that those are just for additional logging to ensure that your syslog entries aren't lost with a reboot. When I use "Tools > System Log" it is just blank even though all the filters are checked ON.

I have searched online but I cannot seem to find exactly what is going wrong. I apologize if perhaps I am missing some simple setting but it just seems that there should be _some_ syslog output. I thought that perhaps it is something to do with how I am booting unRAID, but both legacy and UEFI booting headless doesn't seem to change this behavior.

Any suggestions?

tower-diagnostics-20201011-1946.zip

Edited by MarlinJones

alright, I have gone ahead and rebooted into Safe Mode. I see that my few plugins have not started up + I see a red "System is running in safe mode" at the bottom of the screen.

I started the array, started my Dockers... I still do not see any syslog. Using all the things mentioned above, I still see nothing.

Was the "boot menu" portion required? I booted safe mode from the "Main" checkbox at the bottom of the screen. I dont have a monitor hooked up to my machine so its not as simple to do from the UEFI boot menu.

Edited by MarlinJones

ah i found the fix... No idea how I got into this position by my rsyslog.conf file in /boot/config/ was entirely empty. I just deleted it and let it repopulate after a reboot. Now it looks good. I had been experiencing occasional system crashes until recently so perhaps that file was somehow corrupted. I dont know.

Thanks

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 2:43 PM, MarlinJones said:

ah i found the fix... No idea how I got into this position by my rsyslog.conf file in /boot/config/ was entirely empty. I just deleted it and let it repopulate after a reboot. Now it looks good. I had been experiencing occasional system crashes until recently so perhaps that file was somehow corrupted. I dont know.

Thanks

Just experienced this myself, your fix worked for me as well.