[Solved] Lost power during file transfer, now seeing errors

Waves00

I was transferring files from a usb drive to the unraid storage when the server shutoff unexpectedly.  It was on a UPS.  I believe I had a bad processor or bad motherboard.  I couldn't narrow it down and decided to replace both.  I had been troubleshooting this unexpected power off issue for awhile and thought I had it fixed with a new power supply.  But I was wrong and this time it powered off during a transfer.

I got a new motherboard and processor.  It's running well now.  I wanted to make sure the drives were ok since it got interrupted mid-download moving files from the usb drive to the server.  The usb drive was plugged into a usb port on the server.  I'm seeing a lot of sync errors though.  I set it to check for errors but not correct anything yet because I wasn't sure how to handle this situation.  I'm new to Unraid.

Could these sync errors be present because some of the files that were successfully transferred had not been added to the parity information yet?  Or maybe they are only a result of the dirty abrupt shutdown and the interrupted files copying.  I had been moving a lot of files onto the server that day and hadn't done a parity update that day.  I'm wondering if new files that have not been added to the parity info, appear as sync errors.  I know in ZFS that can happen but Unraid is Btfrs.  With ZFS I know if you add files to the drives then do a parity check, the check can report errors because the drives no longer match the parity.  You have to update the parity to include the new files so the parity check doesn't think the new files are mistakes.

What do I do now that there are errors?  Run the sync again but this time allow it to apply fixes?

Thanks

sync errors.PNG

tower-diagnostics-20201105-2026.zip

Edited by Waves00
Forgot to include screenshot. Added diagnostics zip.
36 minutes ago, Waves00 said:

moving a lot of files onto the server that day and hadn't done a parity update that day. 

Parity is realtime. There is nothing for you to do to "update" parity because it gets updated when any data disk is changed.

Unclean shutdown can result in some parity updates not completing though. If you had multiple unclean shutdowns as it seems you did then you could expect even more sync errors.

You will have to correct them with a correcting parity check. Then another non-correcting parity check to verify you have exactly zero sync errors. Until you get that result you haven't finished fixing things.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Parity is realtime. There is nothing for you to do to "update" parity because it gets updated when any data disk is changed.

Unclean shutdown can result in some parity updates not completing though. If you had multiple unclean shutdowns as it seems you did then you could expect even more sync errors.

You will have to correct them with a correcting parity check. Then another non-correcting parity check to verify you have exactly zero sync errors. Until you get that result you haven't finished fixing things.

I see, didn't know it was real time parity.  I'll stop the current check and change it to a correcting parity check.

I did have multiple unclean shutdowns.  It would run for random amounts of time before shutting off abruptly.  Sometimes hours sometimes less than an hour.  If it happens again, the only remaining part are the memory sticks (or I suppose a cable but that seems unlikely).  It had been going for a little over a day before I thought it was safe to try transferring more files onto it.  I had run a few checks between abrupt shutdowns and they came back as 0 errors but I wasn't moving files during any of those shutdowns.

I'll see how the parity repair goes and what the non-repair check shows after.  Thanks!

Running sync with apply parity fixes corrected the ~9400 errors it detected the first time.  I then ran sync again but with fixing parity disabled.  It detected 0 errors so it looks like it is fully functional again.  I did see a folder with a random name when I was looking through files on the network share.  I'm guessing that is the folder which I was copying onto the server when it abruptly powered off.  It has a name which I didn't use.  I'll delete it and continue transferring items like I was doing before the motherboard/processor started failing.