Hitachi 3TB 7200rpm SATA6 $179.99 @ Newegg

aiden

Planning for future builds, since >2.1TB support is in the pipeline fairly soon.  Could get one for parity, and ignore the extra 1TB until unRAID is ready.

May not be as easy as you think to use one until GPT partitions are supported.

It is not as simple as just using the first 2TB.  (unless, perhaps you can add an HPA taking the top 1TB.  Lots of unknowns... if your BIOS and disk controller will recognize the larger size drive at all.)

I didn't realize this post would be treated with so much criticism.  I was merely trying to bring some attention to a price drop for a new drive.  I thought perhaps it might be of use to anyone who might be testing 3Tb support for their hardware, or maybe even for Tom.  I certainly wasn't trying to suggest it was supported for use in unRAID, so I apologize for creating any confusion.

I didn't realize this post would be treated with so much criticism.  I was merely trying to bring some attention to a price drop for a new drive.  I thought perhaps it might be of use to anyone who might be testing 3Tb support for their hardware, or maybe even for Tom.  I certainly wasn't trying to suggest it was supported for use in unRAID, so I apologize for creating any confusion.

I'm sure many are waiting... and the pressure to support them will dramatically increase when their relative cost becomes competitive to the 2TB drives.  It's getting there... that's for sure.  When they hit $150 (or less) they'll be very tempting.

Oh, I do appreciate the posting on the deal, so don't take these posts negatively.

I was just having some fun at the current situation given how much is still unknown on the hardware support front. I thought it might bring some laughs to everyone. I would love to have at least 3 of these in my array right now, but I don't want the headache associated with being the one pioneering the way and fighting all the issues which could drive me to replacing the motherboard and cpu. I'm having enough fun running with 64bit OS with unRAID on top and trying out a currently unsupported SATA controller card while continuing to admin and moderate my own forums and of course trying to enjoy the multimedia content.

I too think the really sweet point will be around $150.

Archived