Unmountable file system after failed drive replacement

Pcpro745

Handling a drive shown as Unmountable is covered here in the online documentation that can be accessed by using the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.   The chances are that you have file system corruption.

some questions:

• Did the drive really fail, or did you assume that it had failed because it had a red ‘x’ in the Unraid GUI.   Unraid will disable a drive when a write to it fails and often the drive itself is fine and the write failed for other reasons.
  • do you still have the ‘failed’ drive available if needed for data recovery purposes.
  • did the ‘emulated’ drive show as unmountable before you attempted the rebuild?    A rebuild just makes a physical drive match the emulated one, it does not fix any file system errors.
  • were any errors shown in the Unraid GUI during the rebuild process?
16 hours ago, Pcpro745 said:

The failed drive showed to be emulated then I rebooted and it showed unmountable that's when I put a new drive in. The old drive is still available but it will not read on any machines I have tried to read it on. 

OK.   You will need to run a file system check/repair to clear the unmountable state.   A rebuild does not clear such a state since all the rebuild does is make a physical drive match the emulated one.   The check/repair can be run on the ‘emulated’ disk before a rebuild but since you have already done the rebuild it will happen against the new physical disk.

• Like 1