• [6.12.0-RC3] Docker directory mode creates massive slowdowns

Jclendineng
    • Closed Minor

Just an FYI or perhaps this is indeed a bug, but docker, when switched to directory mode, creates a ZFS set for each downloaded dependency or container. This leads to massive slowdowns in the UI, specifically on the "Main" page. It also sets up snapshots by default and I dont see an easy way to disable them on the docker share, so I end up with hundreds of baseline snapshots, and I had over 8000 last night leading to not being able to log in until I ssh'ed in and manually cleared them all. I tested this morning by deleting the entire docker share, setting it up, and noting that it does create snapshots still even though I dont have it scheduled to snapshot.  If this is expected slowdown then may we recommend NOT using the directories mode for docker storage as it really had a large impact on performance in the UI. My docker created 350 datasets, I don't have many dockers, only 25-30, but thats enough to increase UI load times to 30 seconds or so.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It also sets up snapshots by default

Forgot this, Unriad doesn't enable snapshots, do you mean Docker you do have some zfs plugin installed?

Ive upgraded from 6.11.5 to 6.12.0-RC3 and one of my 3 appdata 240gb drives has failed.  This is ok, I also have another 240gb and a 512 m2 ssd in.  Ive replaced the failed 240gb with another 512gb same model drive as the other.  

I mention this in case this is the reason for my issues....Any VMs or Docker containers that I have not got started when i click on them, they wont start.  However if I click start all button at the bottom of the pages then they all start and work as expected which is bizarre...?

I waited for the balancing of the new appdata disk cache share to finish and then rebooted it again and still the same behaviour so I have downgraded back to 6.11.5 sorry.  If Im feeling risky Ill try again tomorrow when kids at daycare, but I think it must have been something in this RC(Not that ive tried thew 2 previous I should add) but I went from 6.10.3 early this morning to 6.11.5 stayed there for an hourish to make sure all was stable and 'normal' which it was which is why I then went up to the RC and then thats when it seemed to happen....the start button was there but couldnt be pressed so to speak, same behaviour on the home screen as the docker page 

Edited by Lunch
    1 minute ago, Lunch said:

I waited for the balancing of the new appdata disk cache share to finish and then rebooted it again and still the same behaviour so I have downgraded back to 6.11.5 sorry.

So I assume you are not using zfs? In that case it has nothing to do with this.

I hadn't noticed this issue, will look.  I've used docker directory on zfs for quite a while too, including up to RC2.  So we now have to use an image, with BTRFS on it?  That seems a bit wrong.

You don't have to use an image, just be aware of the legacy datasets and best practices, release notes has move info.

On 4/21/2023 at 2:21 AM, JorgeB said:

You don't have to use an image, just be aware of the legacy datasets and best practices, release notes has move info.

So I followed best practices, Ill mark this as "fixed" but for people reading this, I disabled snapshots on the docker dataset, that will not prevent snapshots when docker images are updated, and the release notes still dont say anything about managing them, but that info can be found in the link JorgeB posted above. Basically, dont auto snapshot docker images as they are legacy and lead to 5 minute plus slowdowns on the "Main" page when you reach 8000 snapshots or so. I worked around this by setting my default page at login to dashboard so if snapshots got out of hand I could still log in, I dont auto snapshot docker dataset, and I have a user script that automatically cleans up snapshots and docker images that arent cleaned up on its own. That leaves me with around 600 snapshots for around 30 docker applications, and a 8 second load time when I hit the Main page, which is acceptable.