We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×
  • CPU Isolation Not Working

IamSpartacus
    • Minor

I have 4 cores and 8 threads isolated on my Threadripper 1950x for a Windows 10 VM.  Yet docker containers and other system processes are clearly using these threads.

1.png

2.PNG

beast-diagnostics-20190423-2053.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Can you post a screen shot of htop after doing this:

Launch htop from the command line. Press <F2> key, go to "Columns", and add PROCESSOR under "Available Columns".

The currently used CPU ID of each process will appear under "CPU" column.

image.png.957371fce0a893b8363b51f9eb36185a.png

And for sake of completeness, you haven't by chance pinned any containers to those isolated threads?

I believe the OP is confused by the CPU numbering in HTOP vs. our dashboard.  In htop, there is no CPU0, so CPU0 = CPU1.  That means that your pinning in htop is for CPUs 13-16 and 29-32.  I do not see any other processes using those CPUs.  Marking for retest to give the OP time to produce evidence to the contrary.

From your first post, can't tell what process is running on which cpu.

From your last post, htop only says CPU 28 is being used by host process (ffmpeg).  But, 'htop' numbers CPU from 1 instead of 0, so that's really CPU 27.

5 minutes ago, jonp said:

I believe the OP is confused by the CPU numbering in HTOP vs. our dashboard.  In htop, there is no CPU0, so CPU0 = CPU1.  That means that your pinning in htop is for CPUs 13-16 and 29-32.  I do not see any other processes using those CPUs.  Marking for retest to give the OP time to produce evidence to the contrary.

4 minutes ago, limetech said:

From your first post, can't tell what process is running on which cpu.

From your last post, htop only says CPU 28 is being used by host process (ffmpeg).  But, 'htop' numbers CPU from 1 instead of 0, so that's really CPU 27.

I agree about CPU 28 being 27 and thus not one of the pinned cores.  But Look at the 3rd process down in my most recent Screen Shot.  It's using CPU 31 (or CPU 30).

Edited by IamSpartacus
    3 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

It's using CPU 31 (or CPU 30).

We don't include container pinning info in the diagnostics - you are double-dog sure the docker run command is not including specific cpus?  If not, then perhaps you can try pinning all your non-VM cpu's to that container.  Perhaps this is a docker bug.

15 hours ago, limetech said:

We don't include container pinning info in the diagnostics - you are double-dog sure the docker run command is not including specific cpus?  If not, then perhaps you can try pinning all your non-VM cpu's to that container.  Perhaps this is a docker bug.

Yes I'm 100% sure because I've never pinned CPUs for any docker containers.  But I have just taken your advice and limited the CPUs this particular container can use and it appears to have fixed the issue for the time being.