• 6.11.5 -> 6.12 nvidia driver upgrade when legacy driver is set

zoggy
    • Closed

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, which is not supported in the 500 series drivers, so I'm forced to use the legacy driver (v470.182.03).

This is set with the Nvidia Driver plugin.

While on 6.11.5 and doing the update os to 6.12, it fires off the plugin helper which upgrades nvidia driver to latest v535.54.03.

This was suboptimal as this driver does not support my video card. It would be nice if the plugin helper would ignore upgrading if the user is using the legacy 470.x drivers (As its probably by design).

Before rebooting to have it boot up on 6.12, I tried downgrading back to 470.141.03, which it said it did.

Jun 15 16:50:00 husky  emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/nvidia-driver/include/exec.sh update_version 470.141.03

Once updated+downloaded, rebooting to 6.12 it booted up with nvidia driver v535.54.03 :(
    Throwing message about my video card not supported and I need to use 470.x.

I downgraded again and rebooted, this time it DID boot up on 470

Unable to provide logs to show more details since the tips and tricks plugin 'Enable syslog Archiving?' looks to have stopped working on 6.12.

So the only 6.12 logs I have is the current log where it shows it loading the correct 470 legacy drivers as expected.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@zoggy as you've said:

This is set with the Nvidia Driver plugin.

This is something we should discuss on the support thread from the Nvidia Driver plugin because the plugin is not part from the OS nor is the Plugin-Update-Helper.

While on 6.11.5 and doing the update os to 6.12, it fires off the plugin helper which upgrades nvidia driver to latest v535.54.03.

This was suboptimal as this driver does not support my video card. It would be nice if the plugin helper would ignore upgrading if the user is using the legacy 470.x drivers (As its probably by design).

This is caused because the driver version from the legacy driver changes from time to time and the Plugin-Update-Helper simply can't find the 470.xx revision driver which you have selected and it falls back to the latest version.

For the second recommendation about simply not downloading it, it would be the same outcome and simply not possible since even if the Plugin-Updated-Helper doesn't download the driver, the new Unraid version or better speaking the new Kernel version needs a updated driver which is compatible with the Kernel and as said above, even if the Plugin-Update-Helper doesn't download the driver for the new Kernel version the Plugin itself would do that on boot and since it can't find the same static driver version that you've set it to it falls back to the latest version.

Before rebooting to have it boot up on 6.12, I tried downgrading back to 470.141.03, which it said it did.

That's because of the new Kernel version and the Nvidia legacy driver changes from time to time that I've explained above.
    The new driver version for Unraid 6.12.0 is: 470.182.03 instead of 470.141.03 for Unraid 6.11.5

So the only 6.12 logs I have is the current log where it shows it loading the correct 470 legacy drivers as expected.

Hope that explains everything but I also have to say I won't change that behaviour since I don't know how long Nvidia is going to support the legacy driver and how long it will work with the container runtime <- which is required for the use from Nvidia cards in Docker containers.

As a little side note, if the container runtime is dropping support for the legacy driver I will also stop compiling these legacy drivers.

May I ask for what do you use the GT710? The GT710 is a pretty bad card for transcoding anyways because it even doesn't support h265 (HEVC) and in comparison it is really power hungry compared to something more recent like a Nvidia T400 which you can get for pretty cheap (often times for below 100,-), it only draws about 1-4 Watt in idle and it is based on the Turing architecture.

Hope that helps and answers all your questions.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:40 AM, ich777 said:

@zoggy as you've said:

This is something we should discuss on the support thread from the Nvidia Driver plugin because the plugin is not part from the OS nor is the Plugin-Update-Helper.

This is caused because the driver version from the legacy driver changes from time to time and the Plugin-Update-Helper simply can't find the 470.xx revision driver which you have selected and it falls back to the latest version.

For the second recommendation about simply not downloading it, it would be the same outcome and simply not possible since even if the Plugin-Updated-Helper doesn't download the driver, the new Unraid version or better speaking the new Kernel version needs a updated driver which is compatible with the Kernel and as said above, even if the Plugin-Update-Helper doesn't download the driver for the new Kernel version the Plugin itself would do that on boot and since it can't find the same static driver version that you've set it to it falls back to the latest version.

That's because of the new Kernel version and the Nvidia legacy driver changes from time to time that I've explained above.
    The new driver version for Unraid 6.12.0 is: 470.182.03 instead of 470.141.03 for Unraid 6.11.5

Hope that explains everything but I also have to say I won't change that behaviour since I don't know how long Nvidia is going to support the legacy driver and how long it will work with the container runtime <- which is required for the use from Nvidia cards in Docker containers.

As a little side note, if the container runtime is dropping support for the legacy driver I will also stop compiling these legacy drivers.

May I ask for what do you use the GT710? The GT710 is a pretty bad card for transcoding anyways because it even doesn't support h265 (HEVC) and in comparison it is really power hungry compared to something more recent like a Nvidia T400 which you can get for pretty cheap (often times for below 100,-), it only draws about 1-4 Watt in idle and it is based on the Turing architecture.

Hope that helps and answers all your questions.

Thanks for the detailed response, makes sense. It makes sense now what happen.

About the card, I just needed a card in the box to use with monitor from time to time / pass to vm as there is no igpu. It was cheap (was like $40) x1 card that is fanless/single slot. I dont need transcoding so no worries :)

• Like 1