• 6.12 still Freezes, latest working Stable was 6.10, when do we get a real Stable Unraid release? (its 2 years now?)

NewDisplayName
    • Urgent

Hi,

so i did some support threads here descripting my crashes... we never had any clue why... because there are no usefull logs. (I have enabled "Mirror syslog to flash: Yes Copy syslog to flash on shutdown: Yes") But the latest lines are always complete useless.

Jun 13 08:40:19 Unraid-Server mergerfs[30293]: running basic garbage collection
    Jun 13 08:55:19 Unraid-Server mergerfs[30293]: running basic garbage collection
    Jun 13 09:00:52 Unraid-Server emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdk
    Jun 13 09:10:19 Unraid-Server mergerfs[30293]: running basic garbage collection
    Jun 13 09:25:19 Unraid-Server mergerfs[30293]: running basic garbage collection
    Jun 13 09:40:19 Unraid-Server mergerfs[30293]: running basic garbage collection
    Jun 13 09:40:51 Unraid-Server emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdj
    Jun 13 09:54:21 Unraid-Server emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdj
    Jun 13 09:55:19 Unraid-Server mergerfs[30293]: running basic garbage collection
    Jun 13 09:57:55 Unraid-Server emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdi
    Jun 13 10:00:26 Unraid-Server emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdh
    Jun 13 10:00:55 Unraid-Server emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdk
    Jun 13 10:04:07 Unraid-Server emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdh
    Jun 13 10:10:19 Unraid-Server mergerfs[30293]: running basic garbage collection
    Jun 13 10:25:19 Unraid-Server mergerfs[30293]: running basic garbage collection

Is it possible to make unraid be more debug? Like so it logges more things? We can never fix this issue without any good hints what the problems are.

This crash is probably the first in some weeks, btw. So it works weeks without problems or even months and then another completly unrelated crash, i even removed my gpu... to test if that is the problem...

I have fritz.box and i did the suggested network changes, which help, but never complety got rid of it.

TLDR

- Unraid isnt stable (i think the latest working version was 6.10) since months, maybe years now for some part of your customers. I dont feel like there is effort to fix it finally?

- Im using Fritz.Box (might have something to do with that)

- Server doesnt restart of shuts off, it just freezes without any log, the display output is still root login...

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Without anything logged there's not much to go on, and AFAIK, there's no option to log more things, everything should already be logged.

The problem may be caused by a container or plugin you are running, but if it can go that long without a crash, it will be difficult to troubleshoot, the usual recommendation for crashes without anything logged, is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker containers/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

If there is no way of more logs then the unraid devs NEED (!!!) to add that, there is no way to find the problem if there are no more logs, thats unraids part.

Or do we now just wait it out? 

I wont let it run a week as a basic nas, because even now the server wont freeze for months or weeks. So no one can expect me to not use it for that long. Not feasable.

This Server ran for YEARS without problems. Not a single crash, it all startet with 6.10.

Edited by NewDisplayName
    13 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

If there is no way of more logs then the unraid devs NEED (!!!) to add that

Logging is done by the Linux kernel, the devs have no control over that.

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Logging is done by the Linux kernel, the devs have no control over that.

Why do i have to think about a solution while im no "linux user"?

If you say it might be plugins or dockers, then maybe duplicate their logs too? That would be the first step to see if it only happens when specific things happening... 

ALSO i KNOW that specific log outputs gets hidden by unraid. (atleast it was that way at some point)

Edited by NewDisplayName

just for fun i upgraded my usb stick, just to be sure its not the problem, i upgraded to latest version and a freeze in not even 24h.

Thanks for the great support. I really feel valued as a customer.

edit:

also set it now to "eco" in the new setting

Edited by NewDisplayName
    1 hour ago, NewDisplayName said:

just for fun i upgraded my usb stick, just to be sure its not the problem, i upgraded to latest version and a freeze in not even 24h.

Thanks for the great support. I really feel valued as a customer.

edit:

also set it now to "eco" in the new setting

Which version did you update to?

26 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

7.0.0-beta.2

Do you have any current logs, diags?

There is nothing in it. 

worst part is i was like last few % from finishing parity rebuild. (i added some drives)

- this freezes happening on different board, ram and cpu

- all till 6.10 was rock solid, not a single bluescreen or freeze 

- i can give logs, but they will just end without any tracelog or anyhting

- i removed the gpu 

- i disabled vm

- new usb 

cant and wont disable docker because these freezes might happen once a day, once a week or once a month - and since it was solid till unraid changed something - and i cant wait 1 month without

only thing i can think of is the switch from macvlan to ipvlan. It doesnt work well with my router (fritzbox) thats when all this startet. BUT. NO. ONE. CARES.

Edited by NewDisplayName
    9 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

There is nothing in it. 

So this is to an external syslog server?

Without information it will be difficult to pinpoint issue. LT have a bug logged for macvlan so hopefully there will be a kernel fix due.

no, syslog to usb stick.

I know its difficult, shouldnt the dev think about a way to trace this issue? I mean, if i would (and i did in my life) sell a virtual product and a customer comes with a problem to me, wouldnt i want to investigate this? 

Im on ipvlan, like the devs "suggested". With macvlan there are the typical macvlan crashes. 

they could implement some debug mode or something which is more verbose OR copy other relevant logs (from docker) too... 

also this problem isnt only me, there are some portion of users which ahve these freezes, but since its not like every day, i guess most are ok with it.

Edited by NewDisplayName
    12 hours ago, NewDisplayName said:

With macvlan there are the typical macvlan crashes. 

macvlan should no longer be a problem with 7.0.0

I also noticed that after the few freezes my network is only 100mbit now. Was 1gbit for dont know 10 years?

Also i noticed GPU errors  which i never saw in unraid logs.

Jul 16 11:11:32 Unraid-Server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Resetting rcs0 for CS error
    Jul 16 11:11:32 Unraid-Server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] tdarr-ffmpeg[249966] context reset due to GPU hang
    Jul 16 11:11:32 Unraid-Server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:1:85d47ffb, in tdarr-ffmpeg [249966]
    Jul 16 11:11:32 Unraid-Server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Resetting rcs0 for CS error
    Jul 16 11:11:32 Unraid-Server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] tdarr-ffmpeg[249966] context reset due to GPU hang
    Jul 16 11:11:32 Unraid-Server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:1:85d5fffb, in tdarr-ffmpeg [249966]
    Jul 16 11:11:32 Unraid-Server kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:1:85d47ffb, in tdarr-ffmpeg [249966]

also since switching to macvlan i get these:

Jul 16 11:17:44 Unraid-Server ntpd[1823]: 192.168.0.110 on 2 eth0 -> *multiple*
    Jul 16 11:22:45 Unraid-Server ntpd[1823]: 192.168.0.110 on 2 eth0 -> *multiple*
    Jul 16 11:27:46 Unraid-Server ntpd[1823]: 192.168.0.110 on 2 eth0 -> *multiple*

maybe its just this old problem? 

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/69x-611x-intel-i915-module-causing-system-hangs-with-no-report-in-syslog-not-alder-lake-r1674/page/3/

i did remove

options i915 enable_dc=0

now from my config, just to see if there is a difference.

unraid-server-diagnostics-20240716-1130.zip

Edited by NewDisplayName
    53 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

now from my config, just to see if there is a difference.

Please remove the Intel GVT-g plugin and reboot (I see you don't use it anywhere actively).

Do you have a display connected to the HDMI port from your motherboard or at least a HDMI Dummy plug?

Do you use the XMP profile for your RAM, if yes try to disable it and see if that helps.

2 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Please remove the Intel GVT-g plugin and reboot (I see you don't use it anywhere actively).

Do you have a display connected to the HDMI port from your motherboard or at least a HDMI Dummy plug?

OK. (but thats just a new addition, i would like to have a vm in a "good" aspect ratio)

It is connected to an monitor, but not on. I can try a HDMI dummy.

And when it freezes i can see unraid login root: but when i press enter or anything, nothing happens, exact same symptome other have posted.

Edited by NewDisplayName
    3 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

It is connected to an monitor, but not on. I can try a HDMI dummy.

Does it just crash (so you have to manually reset the system) or does your server restart on it's own?

Please disable XMP since it is enabled from what I see, your RAM is running at 3600MT/s please set it to the default 2666 or 2333 MT/s for testing purposes (the Memory controller in the CPU is rated at 2666MT/s from what I see).

It just freezes, like i descriped.

I see the unraid  boot screen and last line is

root or login: (u have to put user here) (keyboard is also not working)

If i press power button, nothing happends (it would initialte a normal shutdown if it wasnt frozen), i have to LONG press it.

XMP was always on and since this system is my old gaming rig, it was working for years in exact that combo (but ill try) and like other ppl in thta thread posted: till 6.10 was everything fine

Edited by NewDisplayName

only changed

- removed plugin u said

- i did remove options i915 enable_dc=0

no crash for 22h, need 8 h to go for finish parity rebuild

unraid-server-diagnostics-20240717-1042.zip

i notice now my nic is limited to 100mbits - also alot of errors (dont know where i saw it, but i saw alot of dropped i think somewhere in the ui), switch doesnt report any problems and cable is only like 2m

but i dont see any network related errors...?

Edited by NewDisplayName
    52 minutes ago, NewDisplayName said:

i notice now my nic is limited to 100mbits - also alot of errors (dont know where i saw it, but i saw alot of dropped i think somewhere in the ui), switch doesnt report any problems and cable is only like 2m

Dont worry about the dropped packages, unless you host something that relies on incoming packages. Its caused by the macvtap, vhost, interface. You could be adventurous and run the good ol macvlan bridge again. So far ive not seen any call traces with the new kernel.

root@Unraid-Server:~# ethtool eth0
    Settings for eth0:
            Supported ports: [ TP ]
            Supported link modes:   100baseT/Full
                                    1000baseT/Full
                                    10000baseT/Full
                                    2500baseT/Full
                                    5000baseT/Full
            Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
            Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
            Supported FEC modes: Not reported
            Advertised link modes:  100baseT/Full
                                    1000baseT/Full
                                    10000baseT/Full
                                    2500baseT/Full
                                    5000baseT/Full
            Advertised pause frame use: No
            Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
            Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
            Speed: 100Mb/s
            Duplex: Full
            Auto-negotiation: on
            Port: Twisted Pair
            PHYAD: 0
            Transceiver: internal
            MDI-X: Unknown
            Supports Wake-on: pg
            Wake-on: g
            Current message level: 0x00000005 (5)
                                   drv link
            Link detected: yes

1 hour ago, NewDisplayName said:

i notice now my nic is limited to 100mbits

That's usually a switch or cable problem, try replacing/swapping.