• [6.12.10] Incorrect dataset creation on ZFS - different location

jaclas
    • Closed

Hello,

I own a array with 3 disks:

image.thumb.png.cbc45cf371531a44508d2a03514115cf.png

And a pool with 3 disks in raidZ called Rajdzik

image.thumb.png.1f387b3537b568fb781721e6c20224ca.png

I created a share named "syncthing" on the Rajdzik pool and a second share named "syncthing_on_array" on the Array:

image.thumb.png.5c04c38b87fbbafd8886d50aec1352cd.png

However, the zfs tools show that the "syncthing" share is not on Rajdzik, but on Array!

image.png.e7a4960af199744a2870fe7af85f6929.png

This is a serious problem. I don't think the ZFS tools are misreading this, rather Unraid's GUI is showing untruths.

After press "Compute..." on shares page:

image.thumb.png.7e39029d604aecaddbcd7d0046a10326.png

unraid-diagnostics-20240418-0754.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

What were the share settings for that share when it was created? You can post a screenshot of the current settings if they were not changed. 

I cannot reproduce that, are you sure the share settings used were those? Or that the dataset didn't already exist?

Creating a new share with primary storage set to a pool only creates the dataset in the pool:

imagem.png

Try deleting the share and recreating again double checking the settings

After remove "syncthing" share and dataset:

image.png.cac535fc903de494e07b7f379b654b94.png

Settings when creating a share again:

image.png.b75aa1e18b461699ee7ee1150cc321b7.png

And now it is indeed ok.

image.png.0fa83cccdaeed874cfab53a388824494.png

I don't know what could have caused the previous degeneration.

I did it the same way, only in addition I set the minimum free size, but I already checked and it does not change anything.

Ok, I'm going to keep an eye on this because it worries me.

Edited by jaclas

OK, going to close this for now, please re-open and let us know if you find anything else.

So I think I know what might have caused that, which is that in the beginning the share was configured with the Secondary Storage with Mover. I just experienced the same behavior with `domains` share.

Even though it is stored ONLY in Cache now (I changed that) the calculation shows it resides in the Array:

image.png.4a10d7191edc4df34650957a33ba6e71.png 

This is also illustrated in the mount table:

image.thumb.png.838a455313b5f610d94092f67371676c.png

I want it to be totally located in Cache, because otherwise using VMs keeps spinning my Array. What can I do other than removing a share and creating another one? I have multiple VMs already configured there.

2 hours ago, totuk said:

So I think I know what might have caused that, which is that in the beginning the share was configured with the Secondary Storage with Mover. I just experienced the same behavior with `domains` share.

Even though it is stored ONLY in Cache now (I changed that) the calculation shows it resides in the Array:

You should not change it to only be in the cache until you have successfully moved all the files to the cache.  Changing to that setting only applies to where NEW files are stored and does not cause existing files to automatically be moved.   Mover ignores any shares which are set to use only the cache even when there are files for that share that are located elsewhere.

• Thanks 1
    4 hours ago, totuk said:

which is that in the beginning the share was configured with the Secondary Storage with Mover.

This is normal, if a share is created with primary storage=pool and secondary storage=array, it will first be created on the array, after any new write to it, the share (dataset) will also be created on the pool.

• Thanks 1

@itimpi 

@JorgeB

Thank you guys. That helped. I moved my `domains` to `domains_old`, then created a new Share located ONLY in Cache this time from the beginnig and mv-ed all the data from `domains_old` to new `domains`. All the rest came with no issues.  

• Like 1