• [6.12.9] Can't start, update or remove containers - ZFS issue?

Joly0
    • Minor

Hey, guys, i am referencing 

here as i have the same problem but for me it happened randomly and had nothing to do with any dying usb sticks.

Randomly after updating containers, it might happen, that one does not update properly and i can see an error that looks like this:
    image.thumb.png.605a86ef8d3a2b68f8c7b4bc57fee93b.png

After that the container cannot be removed, updated or started anymore. 

I already tried to search further and found this bug report https://github.com/moby/moby/issues/40132 over at the moby github repo and it looks related. I tried every possible solution posted there, but none were successful. I have a few containers, that are now stuck in this state. 

I dont want to switch back to image, as folder imo works just way better than folder, even though i have these isues now. Some guys over on github said that switching to the overlayfs storage driver instead of zfs for the docker folder, but as that option is only available in openzfs 2.2.0 i am out of luck, but maybe for future updates there might be a way to configure this setting.

The issue probably would be fixed, if i delete my docker folder and recreate it, but that doesnt solve the root cause of this issue. This problem occurs so randomly, i cant provide any logs now. In 100 docker container updates, it might only happen for one container, or it might not happen at all. But as i said, i have a few containers now in this state and i cant use them anymore

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The issue probably would be fixed, if i delete my docker folder and recreate it,

Did you try an image instead of a folder? If yes is it the same?

Folder on a ZFS drive is known to cause these issues. Best to go back to image if you have a ZFS cache.

I know, that an image will probably solve the issue for me, but as i said, it wont solve the root cause. Also i had far worse issues with an image compared to the folder. So i will 100% not switch back to an image.

Joly0

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Folder on a ZFS drive is known to cause these issues. Best to go back to image if you have a ZFS cache.

Also i know, that folder on a zfs drive is a known issue, but i havent found any bug report for this issue yet and i havent found a solution for it, and as people are starting or will start to use folder on zfs more and more, these issues will arrise more often aswell, without a proper solution other then "use image instead of folder", which btw is not official and not mentioned anywhere

Edited by Joly0

Often the cause of docker image corruption is overfilling it. And filling docker.img is often caused by an application writing to a path that isn't mapped.

I have been using default 20G docker.img for years with no problem, but I have never ran more than 16 containers.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Often the cause of docker image corruption is overfilling it. And filling docker.img is often caused by an application writing to a path that isn't mapped.

I have been using default 20G docker.img for years with no problem, but I have never ran more than 16 containers.

Because it worked for you, doesnt mean it works for others aswell. But my issues with the image was not related to filling the docker.img. But even without those issues, switching to image might solve my issue for now, but doesnt solve the root cause of this issue here. So your comment is basically useless for me

22 minutes ago, trurl said:

Another possible cause of corruption is bad RAM.

Yes, i have thought about that aswell, but i have swapped for other ram and didnt help either. Also according to the linked github issue, others have this issue aswell, on other distro´s, not just unraid