• Can't update to 6.12.0 on one server

Hoopster
    • Closed Minor

I attempted to upgrade to 6.12.0 on two servers.  One worked great without any problems as far as I can tell, the other will not boot into 6.12.0.  I manually rolled it back to 6.11.5 and all was well.

What I have seen with the problematic server.

• The boot process starts and just seems to end at some point and video output is lost
    • It never boots completely and I cannot access the GUI (with one exception - I got diagnostics then)
    • The one time I was able to get into the GUI (quite a while after an attempted boot but I just let it sit), I noticed the Docker service did not start and everything in the GUI was incredibly slow
    • I have to power down the server with a long press of the power button

This server has a PiKVM in it and I was able to successfully get a video of the boot process recorded.  Ignore the first 45 seconds as it is a bunch of nothingness.

The server is running the Syslog Server.  I have also attached that log.  The problems started on June 14 with my first attempt to upgrade to 6.12.0 which failed.  I then rolled back to 6.11.5 which worked.  On the 15th, I changed back to 6.12.0 with more failed boot attempts.

Attached are diagnostics, syslog logs and the video.

sgnas-diagnostics-20230615-2343.zip syslog-192.168.1.7.log

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

I was afraid that might be necessary as the video seemed to indicate the boot process stopped with loading the i915 driver.

Blacklisting i915 allowed the server to boot properly but this server has only the iGPU for graphics and is primarily a Plex server.

Apparently, the Linux kernel in 6.11.5 has no problems with the i5-11600 CPU/iGPU but the kernel in 6.12.0 does not like it.  🙁

37 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I was afraid that might be necessary as the video seemed to indicate the boot process stopped with loading the i915 driver.

Blacklisting i915 allowed the server to boot properly but this server has only the iGPU for graphics and is primarily a Plex server.

Apparently, the Linux kernel in 6.11.5 has no problems with the i5-11600 CPU/iGPU but the kernel in 6.12.0 does not like it.  🙁

did you try

We are aware that some 11th gen Intel Rocket Lake systems are experiencing crashes related to the i915 iGPU. If your Rocket Lake system crashes under Unraid 6.12.0, open a web terminal and type this, then reboot:

echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Setting this option may result in higher power use but it may resolve this issue for these GPUs.

• Like 2
    36 minutes ago, SimonF said:

echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

That seems to have worked.  Thank you.  I guess I just missed that as it appears to have been mentioned previously.

It makes sense as, even in 6.11.5, I had to disable low power mode for the HandBrake presets using QSV (lowpower=0 in More Settings in the Video tab) or all encodes attempted with QSV crashed.

Edited by Hoopster

Thanks Simon, though that setting was only for when it crashed after a few minutes.

Can this be closed? It's kind of a workaround but not much that LT can do for now, hopefully a newer driver/kernel will really fix it in the future.

26 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Thanks Simon, though that setting was only for when it crashed after a few minutes.

Can this be closed? It's kind of a workaround but not much that LT can do for now, hopefully a newer driver/kernel will really fix it in the future.

Yes was not sure it would fix but was worth seeing ifit might fix

• Like 1

Hi there , I think I might have been experiencing the same issue , but since my system wont boot at all is there a way to add something to a file on the usb drive instead of opening up the terminal and doing echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf   ?

Thank you for your help

2 minutes ago, VeeTECH said:

Hi there , I think I might have been experiencing the same issue , but since my system wont boot at all is there a way to add something to a file on the usb drive instead of opening up the terminal and doing echo "options i915 enable_dc=0" >> /boot/config/modprobe.d/i915.conf   ?

Thank you for your help

yes you can plug into another machine create or edit the file in the flash and add to file.

5 hours ago, SimonF said:

yes you can plug into another machine create or edit the file in the flash and add to file.

@VeeTECH That's what I did to add "options i915 enable_dc=0" to the i915.conf file on the flash drive.

12 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Can this be closed?

As far as I am concerned, yes, it can be closed as the server in question boots consistently and without errors since adding the indicated line to i915.conf.

• Like 1
    1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

As far as I am concerned, yes

Can you please test and try to disable VT-d in the BIOS, remove the i915.conf file (or move it to the root from your USB Boot device), reboot and see if that works?

If not it's also fine but I'm very curious in your case if VT-d causes this.

• Like 1
    2 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you please test and try to disable VT-d in the BIOS, remove the i915.conf file (or move it to the root from your USB Boot device), reboot and see if that works?

Yes, the server boots into 6.12.0 if I disable Intel Virtualization Technologies in the BIOS and with no i915.conf file in modprobe.d

iGPU is still enabled as /dev/dri with the appropriate files exists and I am able to hardware transcode in Plex.

This is also an acceptable short-term solution on this server as, for now, I do not intend to run any VMs on the server.

@ich777 UPDATE: After a couple of more reboots, diabled Vt-d no longer solved the problem.  The server was back to the prior no-boot behavior.  After restoring the i915.conf file with the options line, it again boots successfully.  That appears to be the only "permanent" solution.

Edited by Hoopster
    • Like 2