• shared folder creation

NY152
    • Solved Urgent

Hello,

I'm trying to create a new shared folder and it's impossible. I return to the shared folder creation page (which is empty of any information) and the folder is not created.

Anyone have this bug in version 6.12.2 ?

Tanks for helping

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Your disks are pretty full, so there might not bee enough space with the default 10% share floor, when creating the share set the floor to for example 1% before clicking apply.

My server is temporarily saturated, it's true! It will not last, fortunately!

The option you mention is not in the page when creating the share, where can I find it?

11 hours ago, NY152 said:

The option you mention is not in the page when creating the share, where can I find it?

It is Minimum Free Space setting when you click on a share on the Shares tab.

Absolutely all shares are at 0 (empty fields)

The problem therefore does not come from the available space.

But now when you create a new share it will auto set to 10% minimum free space, but since it's not possible to change the value before creating the share need to test if this is a problem, give me a few hours.

Confirmed, it's a bug, if storage is below 10% you cannot create a share, and you can only change the share floor after the share gets created, so no go.

I have the same issue on 6.12.3
    creating new share on zfs pool with low free space (zfs_hdd in my case) still not possible.
    creating new share on zfs pool with much free space (zfs_ssd in my case) there is no problem.

tower-diagnostics-20230716-1734.zip

Edited by peter76
    14 hours ago, peter76 said:

still not possible.

What value are you setting for the share floor? It must me lower than current free space.

In case you mean "Minimum free space" with "share floor":
    I have set "Minimum free space:" to 1 KB
    and free space on corresponding zfs pool is 1.57TB
    Observation: when trying to create new share, there is no error message, but in status line of WebUI it shows "Array Started • Starting services..."
    I get rid of this message creating a new share on a pool with much free space so creation succeeds.

Screenshot 2023-07-17 213534.png

Edited by peter76
    16 hours ago, peter76 said:

I have set "Minimum free space:" to 1 KB

I cannot reproduce this, as long as the share floor is set to a value higher than current free space the share is created, post a screenshot with all the share settings you are using before hitting apply and the diags saved immediately after apply.

thank you for the hint, I think now I can explain what's happened:

-- creating new share on zfs pool with low free space GOES WRONG:
    - having "Minimum free space" in zfs pool settings set to 1 KB
    - leave "Minimum free space" in share settings at standard value ( = 0 )

-- creating new share on zfs pool with low free space SUCCEEDS:
    - having "Minimum free space" in zfs pool settings set to 1 KB
    - set "Minimum free space" in share settings to a low value (  1 KB )

=> having in mind I have to fill in a value other than 0 creating new share succeeds now!
    => maybe the default value "0" should be explained in corresponding help text... ?

Edited by peter76
    1 hour ago, peter76 said:

maybe the default value "0" should be explained in corresponding help text... ?

If you leave it set to 0 it will automatically be changed to 10% pool size (or 10% size of smallest devices for array or array/pool shares) so it will fail if the pool has less space than that available.

user should get informed about this 10% ( the 0 showen is not correct in this case).
    user should also get informed about the reason, when creating the share fails.
    "add share" button should be deactive when there is to less space available..