• VM does not start with a detached usb device

lal12
    • Annoyance

I passed some usb mass storage device through to my VM, I stopped the VM and removed the usb device. When I later tried to start the VM again it complained about a missing usb device.

Since USB has hot plug capabilities I would think that is better to give a warning instead of an error. But even worse I could not remove the usb device in the settings since it was not shown if not plugged. I was lucky that I still knew which usb stick it was so I could plug it in and disable the pass through in the settings.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Alternatively, you could use the HotPlug plugin.  I see what you're saying, and agree with it, but probably the design of KVM is that any USB device in the XML is a required device for the VM (ie: I only add KB / Mouse in the template).  Everything else that I may or may not ever remove I attach it via the plugin.

The proper procedure is to stop the VM and remove the USB device from the settings before physically removing the device.

The VM manager will not know when a USB device is assigned to a VM and this device isn't present any more whether this is a failing device or removed on purpose.

Edited by bonienl

I have been caught by this problem multiple times, I have hot plug devices installed too. What is the correct procedure for a device that is usually attached to a specific vm but not always. 

Why does it not show the device in the UI greyed out even to indicate that something is required but not available? Surely if you take the argument that if something is in the XML it is required, it follows that it must be displayed regardless of being available or not (eg greyed out, strike out, RED BOLD LETTERS)?

• Like 1