Best way to access your VMs locally

adminmat

Too many ambiguities. Can you give a specific example?

For instance, I personally use Remmina or nomachine on my desktop daily driver to access both Windows VM's and Linux VM's. For the windows VM's through remmina, I use the RDP protocol, for linux through remmina, I use VNC hosted in the VM for some things, VNC hosted on Unraid for things requiring lower level access at the expense of performance. Nomachine works universally. If I'm on a windows machine, I use RDP for windows VM's, unless I need VNC through unraid, in which case I use ultravnc viewer, which also works for the VM hosted vnc server on the linux VM's.

I can also use connectwise control if I'm not local and don't feel like or can't establish a VPN link. Connectwise is expensive for purely personal use, I use it for business, so it's a write off.

I NEVER use the noVNC, it's been too much of a pain for me, and it's easy to set up alternatives for the few times you really need "local" console for the VM. Hosting the remote access server portion in the VM itself is much better than relying on the KVM vnc server on unraid.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Too many ambiguities. Can you give a specific example?

So basically if I'm on my local network and I'm using a windows laptop or desktop to view the GUI of a Linux distro like Mint what would you use? 

Sounds like you'd recommend Nomachine? I'll check that out. 

For a Windows 10 VM (accessing the same way, locally) sounds like you'd recommend RDP?

I installed Wireguard. I assume these applications (Nomachines, RDP) will work equally well over a "remote to LAN" Wireguard connection? 

And why you're here.... Do you know how to "unmount" the .iso I used to install the Linux VM? It's currently in the /isos share. I assume that it's not necessary to boot that VM every time? I tried to move it out of /isos and the VM would not start. It's currently showing in the Linux Mint VM as a mounted CD rom.