[Solved] Undo format disk and parity rebuild

TvdK

Hi All,

During a parity check, one of my array disk was disabled due to overheating. I used the following instructions to enable the disk again: How do disks become disabled.

Only I made 1 critical error. I was thinking this was a good opportunity to switch the file system of this array disk from reiserFS to XFS. So I changed the file system and and selected form disk from the unraid GUI. After this I hit Parity check/Rebuild Parity and was expecting all my data restored on the array disk from the parity disk. However after rebuild my disk was empty which I know understand. 

Is there a way to recover the data that used to be on my array disk? I suppose it is erased from parity drive also?

Edited by TvdK

Thanks for the tip for UFS Explorer. I also found some recommendations for TestDisk - CGSecurity. 
Will give these options a try tomorrow.  If I get the reiserFS filesystem and partition back on the disk, how to reintroduce it into the array and rebuild the parity?

Found an older post that suggested to change the file system back to reiserFS and use the ‘reiserfsck rebuild tree’ option. This looks like it might be a better option.
Can anyone recommend the best procedure to recovery with reiserfsck and rebuilding parity?

Do I have to unassign the parity disk in this process?

Thanks for help. After changing back to reiserfs I try to run the reiserfsck check option from the GUI. This results in the following error. Do I need to reformat or do I need to run it from command line?

reiserfsck 3.6.27

Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md1

Will put log info to 'stdout'

Failed to open the device '/dev/md1': Unknown code er3k 127

36 minutes ago, TvdK said:

do I need to do something more than just selecting it from the drop down in disk settings in the GUI?

That's it.

3 minutes ago, TvdK said:

Can I use the Format button from the GUI to create a new reiser filesystem or will this further destroy my data?

You can, it would be best without doing it, but if rebuilding the superblock isn't working maybe the only option.

After format I can run reiserfsck with the following results:

reiserfsck 3.6.27 Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md1 Will put log info to 'stdout' ########### reiserfsck --check started at Tue Dec 22 11:26:37 2020 ########### Replaying journal: Replaying journal: Done. Reiserfs journal '/dev/md1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed Checking internal tree.. finished Comparing bitmaps..finished Checking Semantic tree: finished No corruptions found There are on the filesystem: Leaves 1 Internal nodes 0 Directories 2 Other files 0 Data block pointers 0 (0 of them are zero) Safe links 0 ########### reiserfsck finished at Tue Dec 22 11:28:01 2020 ###########

Would you recommend to rebuild the superblock or only rebuild tree?

Didn’t expect this to be feasible. Most of my data appears te be recovered after formatting it back to reiserFS and rebuild. I have to investigate the exact damage but already very happy with this result.

Took about 8 hours for this 1.5TB to rebuild.

@JorgeB, thanks for the help and patience. 

• Like 1