Anyone build any big arrays out of 2.5 inch disks?

LVLAaron

Anyone build any big arrays out of 2.5 inch disks?

Now that these things are dirt cheap and coming in large capacities, I was wondering if anyone has built a large array out of them? Speed is of absolutely no concern for my unRAID server. But I figure with some work in the shop (custom drilled brackets, etc) I could fit 12 of them into my Antec 300 case... anyone?

If you aren't on a tight budget you could pack a ton of them into pretty much any case using these 2.5" 4-in-1s.  I've always been tempted, but I just can't justify the expense.  As cheap as 2.5" drives are these days, they simply can't compete with the price per GB ratio of 3.5" drives.  You'll also end up using more power and more drive slots for the same amount of storage capacity.  While it would be a fun project, it just doesn't make much sense.

What I'm really waiting for is the day when SSDs are cheaper per GB than HDDs.  That's when I'll build a server out of SSDs only.  Lord that will be sweet.  I figure I've got a good 5 years to wait, though...

Those are pretty cool. I think I'll order one. I always seem to have a stack of those disks around here... Might as well use them. I think 4x500 would make for a nice small nas. Always need more nas!

You should see the EFD (enterprise flash drive - 5.25 SSD) I just put in at my day job. :) Talk about fast.  ;D

Why not take some regular size 3.5" drives and gut them and drill out a few holes and mount a stacked pair of 2.5 drives.

I know it sounds silly, but it would be kinda cool seeing a 3.5 recycled to hold (2) 2.5 inch drives. Not sure the cooling would work, but sounds cool in my twisted head.  ;D

Archived