Backup unraid flash with Veeam Backup and Replication Server

I have a Veeam B & R Server running in a VM on my unraid machine, with the intention of consolidating some backups under the one umbrella.  I am currently backing up several unraid shares using this method without a problem, \Picture \Music for example.

The problem i have is with the \flash share. Veeam is able to see the files, but when it attempts to copy them it gives an 'access denied' error.

I have confirmed i can access the flash and copy the files using windows explorer within the VM, i have also tried changing the SMB Security settings on the flash share to private and created a backup user with access to the share, this made no difference.

flash.JPG

Edited by reggierat
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/31/2021 at 7:24 AM, pk1057 said:

High,

i already work with veeam and made a container which is capable running the veeam linux backup client.

This solved plenty problems for me and pushed performance.

If you will try, look for the container pk1057/veeam.

Hi pk1057, where can I download your container? I would like to use the linux client as well for unraid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/12/2021 at 5:30 PM, DerekV said:

Hi pk1057, where can I download your container? I would like to use the linux client as well for unraid.

Sorry took a little bit longer bit longer .

hwn you search for pk1057 and select "Click here for more results from github" you should find it

Here i will give some hints in using my container:

Important: your container needs a fixed ip address and has to be started  in privileged mode.

Network type is "custom br0"

For Settings see the screen shots

After first install please login into the container and change the password from #Backup01 to something else via passwd command

The container itself needs veeam 11 or 11a to work with. It was build against 11 but is upgradable to 11a vi veeam.

f everything is up and running you can connect to the shell and should some veeam infos after ps command.

In /var/log/VeeamBackup and /var/log/veeam are some useful logfiles

in veeam under windows you need to setup a linux client 

I

image.thumb.png.e2c33e94e094462ca358965b34430c54.pngimage.png.5e8970c3c5344902e08151d5ab1939a5.png

image.png.5687db9c7560a26221530fd06297cbcb.pngimage.png.1ae5e4c159320beb0f77124e5ef29bb8.png

image.png.68729f3309a744c539826cfbe3fcbbd4.png

image.thumb.png.43d6189e9e3d7f114ede337487209a41.png

image.thumb.png.fd289b3d0833066728ce13c81bf57078.png

image.png

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, pk1057 said:

No, the container installs only a backup client/peer on your Unraid System.

Veeam itself is a windows based application with plenty of features

Ok. Tnx. After install Veeam B&R on windowd machine I can add this client on veem server.  Is needed any adjust on client (docker)? What i can backup with this client? How to backup VM in unraid? Normally veeam will install client on all VM? This docker I only ise for backup flash or? Many thanks.

2 hours ago, Kristijan said:

Ok. Tnx. After install Veeam B&R on windowd machine I can add this client on veem server.  Is needed any adjust on client (docker)? What i can backup with this client? How to backup VM in unraid? Normally veeam will install client on all VM? This docker I only ise for backup flash 

The container gives Veeam access directly to the /mnt folder und you can use it also as a Backup target.

I use Veeam and unraid together with an local TapeChanger. All my PCs have also the veeam Client installed for Automatic backup.

For me, it is the most sophisticaded Network Backup solution.

3 hours ago, pk1057 said:

The container gives Veeam access directly to the /mnt folder und you can use it also as a Backup target.

I use Veeam and unraid together with an local TapeChanger. All my PCs have also the veeam Client installed for Automatic backup.

For me, it is the most sophisticaded Network Backup solution.

Yes. Veeam is great. One more question. When setup Veeam B&R on windows machine I only add docker as backup target and thats is? Is needed adjust any on docker? Is possible to backup usb drive?

On 1/6/2023 at 8:28 PM, pk1057 said:

Yes, thats all. 

For usb it depends , passthrough or shared folder.

Or do you wanna Backup to an USB device  ? This should bei possible via iscsi

Tnx. I setup Veeam B&R and add docker to managed server in veeam? Now i setup backup job and give following error
image.png

Veem tell docker upgrade is required and fail.

image.thumb.png.104b0079f728b7f2817858c3cf239d28.png

What is wrong?

Edited by Kristijan

Sorry for the delay, but my internet broke down yesterday.

I made a clean install on a different unraid server and it works for me.

First what i saw you used my dns name veeam-linux.fritz.box is this name really reachable for you ?

At second my system installed nearly everything during setup of the server. I attached some pictures of the setup.
After the server setup and the installation of the files you can control in the console of the container if it looks like the earlier screenshot and if the /opt folder is populated with some files from the veeam installation
 ls /opt/veeam/

should show 
transport  upload

and ls /opt/veeam/transport/

should show 
certs        libattr.so.1   libfuse.so     libuuid.so.1  vddk      vddk_6_7  veeamagent        veeamtransport
libacl.so.1  libblkid.so.1  libNtfsLib.so  scripts       vddk_6_0  vddk_7_0  veeamimmureposvc  VeeamTransportConfig

The container is  running in privileged mode ? and uses brX as network device ?
You can ssh into the containers address with the user veeam-backup and the password ?

what does the logfiles in /var/log/veeam and /var/og/veeam/config say ?

veeam-credentials.png

veeam-instll-client.png

veeam-summary.png

veeam-backup.png