[Solved] Transfering drives to disk shelf

First let me start off by saying I'm pretty new to UnRaid, disk shelf's & raid cards etc. etc. so please excuse me, I've done a bit of searching and wasn't really finding what I was looking for so I figured I'd ask and hopefully someone with more knowledge could shed some light for me or at the very least point me in the right direction.

That being said, I just picked up a disk shelf, specifically a NetApp DS4243 Shelf and I'd like to move my currently drives that are connected via an LSI SAS 9201-16e into the shelf, however when I do so, (tried with 1 drive and left the other 5 of 6 total on the LSI SAS 9201-16e to both test that the shelf was working and could be read from etc.)  When putting the drive in the shelf it sees the drive, but it appears to have a different identification number and wants me to format it to add to the array, and thus UnRaid thinks the drive is missing (when put back on the LSI SAS 9201-16e everything is fine and the array starts backup)

The hardware I bought specifically is as followed:

NetApp X2065A-R6 HBA SAS 4-PORT Copper 3/6 GB QSFP PCIe 111-00341 Controller
4x NetApp 112-00177 X6558-R6 2m QSFP to QSFP External SAS Cable

and of course the NetApp DS4243 Shelf itself

I guess my first couple of questions are, is it normal from swapping controllers for the controller to assign it a different identification?
(I thought the identification was based on the drive itself)
If not what might be causing the issue & how might I work around that?

My thought on it was since I only have 6 drives total at this point in time (Including the single parity) was to get around it by formatting the drive and rebuilding the array, however that makes me soft of nervous for obvious possible data loss reasons, and assumingly having to do it with all 6 drives in the array one at a time) which isn't really a big deal for me to do all the drives one at a time, just time consuming rather.  (Unless there is an easier way to accomplish this that I'm unaware of at this time.)

I could also (since this is only a 24 bay shelf anyways and I only have 6 drives at this time) just leave my system as is for now and just expand the new drives I pickup in the next couple of weeks into the shelf, the problem with that is, I'm currently using a desktop case for my server and am about to transfer into a rack mount case that only has proper mounting for 4 drives when it arrives on Monday (weather permitting ...)

Thanks for any and all help!

Crazzyt9 (Tim)

Edited by Crazzyt9
2 hours ago, Crazzyt9 said:

is it normal from swapping controllers for the controller to assign it a different identification?

No, but it's normal with NetApp enclosures.

2 hours ago, Crazzyt9 said:

If not what might be causing the issue & how might I work around that?

You'd need to do a new config, or use an enclosure without that issue.

Thanks for the help!

I was afraid it was something to do with the NetApp as I've read they can be a pain.

I think the easiest and safest route will be to get a rack case I can throw 6 drives in along with all the other hardware for the server I have, and then just use the shelf to expand

Thanks,

Crazzyt9 (Tim)

1 hour ago, trurl said:

No. Rebuilding a formatted disk will result in a formatted disk. 

Just to reiterate this point. NEVER format a disk you think should have data on it. Ask for help. Many people have made the mistake of thinking they can recover from parity, but when you format a disk in the array, parity is updated to say the disk has been formatted.

That's very valuable advice!

I've in the past made irreversible mistakes and regretted imminently with other projects and such as a youth, so in my older age I'm a bit more cautious and tend to ask for advice before potentially doing anything with possible irreversible effects Especially when I'm dealing with things I've not really got much background in, like UnRaid!  In any case thanks again for all the help!

Thanks,
Tim