(SOLVED) unraid 6.8.3 not detecting all hdds

a couple of weeks ago my server started shutting down when put under a load. it did this maybe 4 times and after that i left it off and purchased a new power supply, assuming that my power supply (~5 years old) was biting the dust. new power supply arrived, plugged it in, and.. nothing. back and forth troubleshooting of port/cable combinations i found that replacing the fan controller 6-pin molex power cable allowed everything to power back up as normal. i am now powered back up, and logged into the server, but for some reason unraid doesn't see two of my hdds. slots 1 and 4, if it makes a difference. i've reviewed the logs and found that unraid logs sata link down for these two items, but i have no idea why? it's been running fine for several years, so i can't imagine it's a setting that suddenly needs to be adjusted or tweaked. i'm wondering if it wasn't the cable that was faulty and maybe a port on the motherboard? dunno, honestly just guessing...i'm hoping that someone can assist with a log review and point me in a direction. i've reviewed the logs myself, but other than the link down info, i'm not sure what's abnormal vs. standard.

logs attached. thx in advance for any assistance.

media-diagnostics-20210113-0035.zip

Edited by UnraidDisplayName
1 minute ago, trurl said:

You mention troubleshooting port/cable combinations before you got your power working, but have you tried swapping ports after you got your power working?

good question, i did not. once the individual power cable testing resulted in replacing the fan cable, i didn't continue troubleshooting because everything powered up correctly. i'll attempt to switch some data cables around and see if it makes a difference.

24 minutes ago, trurl said:

You mention troubleshooting port/cable combinations before you got your power working, but have you tried swapping ports after you got your power working?

swapped two ports for found devices on the mobo with two not found devices, no change.

swapped two connectors on the drives themselves, two known good with two known bad. no change.

seems no matter what, drives 1 and 4 are not found.

8 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Did you, by any chance, replace a modular power supply with another one? If so, did you switch ALL the cables to the new ones? Just because the old modular cables fit, doesn't mean they are compatible. Running with the wrong cables for even a second or two can burn up drives.

yak. :S

no, i did not originally swap cables. once it didn't power up, i removed all and replaced each one during troubleshooting, one-by-one, but most definitely longer than second or two. the motherboard connectors were replaced immediately (old psu was semi-modular), but the 6 pin connectors, i just did the ol' unplug and replug.

question: if it fried two of the drives, shouldn't it have fried all of them? or is it just happenstance that sometimes it happens...

40 minutes ago, UnraidDisplayName said:

question: if it fried two of the drives, shouldn't it have fried all of them? or is it just happenstance that sometimes it happens...

Possibly with all the drives connected, the PSU overcurrent protection kicked in before it fried anything, but with only a couple plugged in the PSU fired up and appeared to work while frying the 2 remaining drives?

13 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Possibly with all the drives connected, the PSU overcurrent protection kicked in before it fried anything, but with only a couple plugged in the PSU fired up and appeared to work while frying the 2 remaining drives?

good as answer as any.

before i mark this solved/closed, one last question (since i furbar'd my drives by not reading instructions and/or asking questions): are these directions accurate for my situation? https://wiki.unraid.net/Replacing_a_Data_Drive 

(1) pull broke drive, install new drive

(2) prepare new drive

(3) select new drive in place of old drive

(4) check a box in the main->array operation identifying the new drive as a replacement for broke drive

(5) start it up and wait for it to repair/write new drive

(6) repeat for broke drive #2

6 hours ago, UnraidDisplayName said:

are these directions accurate for my situation?

Your paraphrase of those instructions is vague enough to be disastrously misleading. Just thought I would mention that in case someone else sees this thread. Also, here is a more up-to-date link:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Replacing_disks

Unfortunately, since you didn't have dual parity you can't rebuild anything with 2 missing disks.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Your paraphrase of those instructions is vague enough to be disastrously misleading. Just though I would mention that in case someone else sees this thread. Also, here is a more up-to-date link:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Replacing_disks

Unfortunately, since you didn't have dual parity you can't rebuild anything with 2 missing disks.

well that's unfortunate. thx

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Read this whole thread.

wow, you almost read my mind, that's fantastic. 

so, quick version.. i went through WD website and found a semi-local data recovery joint (securedatarecovery.com) that wants me to fedex my stuff to them for analysis (which takes ~3 days), they will then reply with an estimate that should be between $200-$2000 per drive depending on damages. i see in the thread quoted, potentially i could use the another company (salvagedata/donordrives) and maybe get it down to $100 or less per drive. ultimately, i'm debating on which company to use, but certainly moving in the same direction that you brought up as a possibility.

thank you very much!

several edits later, but a new thought edit: i'm very much intent on (1) adding a second parity drive (never thought i would lose two drives at one time, but never planned on being a complete dumbass either, go figure) and (2) looking to somehow backup the truly important items (family photos, etc.), whether through cloud or unattached/standalone drives. music and television nonsense can be replaced, but the photos from my uncle's wedding that were on my iphone in 2012 are gonna be hard to replace. 

any additional/future/general advice beyond those two items?

Edited by UnraidDisplayName
  • UnraidDisplayName changed the title to (SOLVED) unraid 6.8.3 not detecting all hdds