We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

6.9 pool questions

Just some back ground. I have 12 spinning drives and 2 NVME drives as cache drives.. I just purchased a disk Shelf with Twenty-four 1Tb drives.

I understand that I can only have 30 drives under 6.8, but with 6.9 I can have cache pools and if I understand it I can have more then 30 drives at that point.

That being said when I go to 6.9 and set up pools I can send one up for Movies, TV, Music, Pictures.

When I do so can I just set each category to each one and it will automatically move from the current array to each of the pools?

Currently I have 43tb and want to add 24tb from the disk array

19 minutes ago, UtahDeLorean said:

So I pulled the trigger and moved to 6.9. I put almost all of the drives into the main array. I however have 6 drives that I put into its own pool... It's only giving me 3Tb (it's Six 1Tb drives) and it's not indicating any parity. So did I do something wrong? Also how should it show up on the network?

Will think  it for  you  chose  raid1  when you  make it ? And for  the network  par I like  too know  myself  should  just too make a question  myself  after use 2 X 4TB so that we  

can both need help too . My are also just setting  there 

23 minutes ago, UtahDeLorean said:

6 drives that I put into its own pool... It's only giving me 3Tb (it's Six 1Tb drives) and it's not indicating any parity.

That's correct, the default layout for pools containing multiple drives is BTRFS RAID1. What were you expecting? You can change BTRFS RAID levels if you wish.

25 minutes ago, UtahDeLorean said:

Also how should it show up on the network?

If you have disk shares enabled it would show up as \\servername\poolname. Otherwise it doesn't show over the network directly, but any user shares could be set to use it just like the regular cache pool in previous versions.

32 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That's correct, the default layout for pools containing multiple drives is BTRFS RAID1. What were you expecting? You can change BTRFS RAID levels if you wish.

If you have disk shares enabled it would show up as \\servername\poolname. Otherwise it doesn't show over the network directly, but any user shares could be set to use it just like the regular cache pool in previous versions.

I guess that I was expecting it to look just like the Array (Parity and then X amount of drives). So I will need to tinker with it more.

I am also new to the Cache pool... Only recent;y have I switch from a SSD to a NVME drive and then added a 2nd NVME drive for redundancy.

I was figuring of using the extra 6 drives as a back up drive, but now that I have fallen into the "I need more drives" I suspect that I will be purchasing another Disk Array from Ebay.