LSI 9211-8i not working

Hi,

After reader some topics about a new HBA,  I decided to buy 2 used LSI 9211-8i cards. They arrived yesterday. Both however do not seem to be picked up by my motherboard (Asus x470-f).

I do not get a boot screen from the card. I know the cards are not in IT mode (and I can't flash them myself). So should't they show a boot screen? I have tried all the slots on the motherboard that they fit in. Unraid and a bare metal Windows do not seem to see the cards. 

Does anybody know if those cards are compatible with my motherboard? If not what HBA is? I would like to add more SATA drives but the motherboard only has 6 ports. 

7 hours ago, Vr2Io said:

1. Pls check does it detect at Unraid system device.

2. Does HBA heatsink hot ? If not, it should be dead.

3. Pls try tape B5 B6 at HBA pcie contact finger.

Thanks for your reply. As stated above Unraid does not see the card. There is no mention of it in the devicelist. 

The heatsink is cold. It does not warm up. 

I have tried that but it doesn't work. 

I have got another motherboard to start the efi flash but that just tells me that it can't find an LSI card. It does appear that the card is dead. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 9:05 PM, Gragorg said:

Did you actually kapton tape B5 and B6 like Vr2lo suggested?  Some cards such as Dell cards require you to in a non dell system.  

image.thumb.jpeg.4fb7984d6fc433652f6b07fc11d11a7e.jpeg

I saw that I never replied to you. 

The cards were dead. Turned out that both had burned some kind of fuse on them. Someone repaired them for me and I have one of the cards working for a few months now. The other is a spare. 

For some reason though, Unraid does not like it if both of them are in the system at the same time. I am now looking at an SAS expander card. 

1 hour ago, Squid said:

I (at one point) had a pair of LSI controllers (mixed), and they only worked together by re-arranging the order they were in the slots.

I tried that a little bit but still had problems. My solution was to use a second LSI card that was a slightly different model. Still a 9211-8i model but different looking. That worked. 

But after a few days, I decided to just have 3 drives connected to the motherboard sata ports. I am now looking into getting an SAS expander