Which Motherboard To Get: Challenge To Lime-Tech

Thanks for pointing out the BioStar A760G M2+ I ended up ordering it from the ebay vendor. 

I am looking at the memory compatibility page and I can’t find anything officially supported by this board available to buy. 

Normally I wouldn’t ask but to be on the safe side what RAM is recommended for this board? 

I don’t plan on running any add-ons just straight up file serving… so 1 GB should be good right?

Lime-Tech should maybe think about buying out these BioStar boards and selling them with RAM and CPU as a build your own box bare bones kit…

I have in my signature one of the budget builds that Rajahal put together a while back and I pieced it together based on his recommendations. Its been running flawless.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the complete Part list I went with.  Thanks again!!!

CASE: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MB: BIOSTAR A760G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor SDX140HBGQBOX 

RAM: Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N6K2/2G

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply

Pairity HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Flash: Verbatim TUFF-'N'-TINY 4GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model 96815

I just wanted to provide caution to whoever decides to order from this vendor.  I got my motherboard delivered.  They did a good job with shipping on-time and to the correct address however they didnt even put the motherboard box in a padded envelope or box to ship!!!! They just wrapped the motherboard in a NON-padded envelope.  I dont have much confidence that the board will work.  If it does it will be PURE luck.

I just wanted to provide caution to whoever decides to order from this vendor.  I got my motherboard delivered.  They did a good job with shipping on-time and to the correct address however they didnt even put the motherboard box in a padded envelope or box to ship!!!! They just wrapped the motherboard in a NON-padded envelope.  I dont have much confidence that the board will work.  If it does it will be PURE luck.

Oh no that sucks..... you should e-mail him. 

I remember ordering a cpu from one ebay seller.  It came loose in a 4x6 padded envelope.  One corner of the envelope had become ripped and the cpu was slightly protruding out the hole.  7 pins were bent on the cpu.  I gave the seller a negative review stating just how it was packaged.  He replied in email asking why I hadn't given him a chance to correct the issue.  

Can you imagine sticking a cpu (it wasn't that cheap) uncovered, unwrapped into an envelope where it's sure to get crushed between other mail and wanting a second chance to make it ok?

Slap that seller!

The parts for my son's machine using the MSI 880GM-E43 all arrived.  Machine booted into ubuntu on the first power on.  I'm running memtest for 24 hours.

I have two drives pre-cleared and a parity drive ready for the unRAID test.  I'll use unRAID 4.7 for the level 1 test and start a new thread for that board.

This is kind of a double post but I will post here as well because I am anxious to get thoughts on this.

I can’t get BIOSTAR A760G M2+ motherboard (AMIBIOS ver 08.00.14 build date 09/11/09) to boot from USB.  Following this:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#First_Time_Configuration

Originally I couldn’t find the USB Mass Storage Device Config when I had my Tuff and Tiny Verbatim USB plugged in.  I swapped that out with a Sandisk Cruezer and now the USB Config shows up but I still can’t get the MOBO to boot from USB.

Any thoughts as to what options that may not be accurate in the guide above, or why the Tough and Tiny isn’t even recognized??

THANKS!!!

This is kind of a double post but I will post here as well because I am anxious to get thoughts on this.

I can’t get BIOSTAR A760G M2+ motherboard (AMIBIOS ver 08.00.14 build date 09/11/09) to boot from USB.  Following this:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#First_Time_Configuration

Originally I couldn’t find the USB Mass Storage Device Config when I had my Tuff and Tiny Verbatim USB plugged in.  I swapped that out with a Sandisk Cruezer and now the USB Config shows up but I still can’t get the MOBO to boot from USB.

Any thoughts as to what options that may not be accurate in the guide above, or why the Tough and Tiny isn’t even recognized??

THANKS!!!

I don't have this motherboard and I have not looked through the manual for it but My suggestion is to look through the Flash Drive Prep section of the unRAID Wiki.

I have used the Tuff-n-tiny devices many times for client builds and never had a problem with them.  Depending on the setup of the flash drive it might appear as a HD and not a Removable drive... it all depends.

Oh dear!  I just ordered three of these motherboards from that seller.  If they arrive like you've described, I'll return them post-haste.  That type of packaging is certainly not acceptable for any type of sensitive electronics.

Oh dear!  I just ordered three of these motherboards from that seller.  If they arrive like you've described, I'll return them post-haste.  That type of packaging is certainly not acceptable for any type of sensitive electronics.

I contacted the seller about this issue.  They didn't seem surprised or apologetic about shipping the way they did.  Maybe since you ordered 3 they will put it in a box.  I may have been unlucky considering the MOBO was able to fit in a non padded envelope. 

The box was in pretty good shape surprisingly so I figured I would give it a shot in keeping it due to being excited to get this build going.  If I wasn't so excited about building I definitely would have sent the MB i ordered back.  So far everything is working for me, so I could just be lucky :)

I just got mine yesterday from that seller.  The board was in the retail box, and that was in a priority mail box with no additional packaging.  Personally I don't think it's an issue, as the retail box protects the board well enough.  I fired it up today and it's working fine.

If the retail-box was in another box I would have been totally cool with that, however it wasn't.  Mine was in an envelope.  More or less the retail box was wrapped in paper which is unacceptable to me.

Ah, I see, I misunderstood you.  I thought you meant that they put the motherboard loose in an envelope.  I half-way agree with candre23 that the retail box does a decent job of protecting it, though of course extra padding would always be welcome.  I figure that anything that doesn't have moving parts is pretty durable.  As long as the board passes your tests then I wouldn't worry about it.

Can you run one of those 8-port SAS PCIe x4 cards in the x16 slot of the A760G M2+ board that is found on ebay?

I do have a full sized P35-DS3L that I might use if I ever end up upgrading my current PC. That sucker has 3 PCIe slots, but I don't know if I could run the 8-port card in the x16 slot since some boards only allow a GPU to be in there.

Can you run one of those 8-port SAS PCIe x4 cards in the x16 slot of the A760G M2+ board that is found on ebay?

Yes.  I am doing exactly that with a SASLP-MV8 and it was plug-and-play.

2nding this.

3rd this

Bought mine, tested it and just waiting until I need to add more drives. It does work however rather well from what testing I've put mine through.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine yesterday from that seller.  The board was in the retail box, and that was in a priority mail box with no additional packaging.  Personally I don't think it's an issue, as the retail box protects the board well enough.  I fired it up today and it's working fine.

Mine came this way too.  I haven't tested mine yet though, so hopefully everything is peachy.  The packaging looks undamaged and will probably test the board and the SASLP with it sometime this week.

Can't beat $56 shipped  ;D

Your Asus board is incompatible with the popular AOC-SASLP-MV8 card, so your expandability options are pretty limited.  If you are not planning on expanding past 6 or maybe 8 drives, then your board is fine.  Otherwise, I would recommend replacing it.

Is this board compatible?

785GT-E63 Socket AM2+ 785G ATX Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0332148

Thanks

Your Asus board is incompatible with the popular AOC-SASLP-MV8 card, so your expandability options are pretty limited.  If you are not planning on expanding past 6 or maybe 8 drives, then your board is fine.  Otherwise, I would recommend replacing it.

Is this board compatible?

785GT-E63 Socket AM2+ 785G ATX Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0332148

Thanks

I don't know, I haven't tried it.