Yet Another, Latest AeroCool VS-9 Build

CDLehner

OMG; I'm afraid I may have changed my mind...YET AGAIN  :'(

I got an ARK 4U-500 for my first build, went to a Norco 4220 when I decided I wanted hot-swap. Went back to the ARK, when I decided the Norco was too big and noisy; and now built this AeroCool/iStar combo, to go back to a more "manageable" hot-swap box.

It's been up and running, I don't know...all of 2 weeks; and I'm already wondering if I should have just gotten the BIG box again! I know, I'm a mess and can't seem to make up my mind. Problem is, I keep going back and forth...obviously...between "big enough" and "manageable", and just feeling like I've got all the case I'll ever need, and never having to futz with parts and the build; just drives.

Now I'm wishing I would have, either a) never sold my 4220, and/or b) would have just bought a Norco over this AeroCool/iStar combo (not that I don't like it fine).

OK, couple of dumb questions: 1) I don't imagine I'm alone with "builder's remorse", at a site like this. So I'm surprised to see there isn't more selling done here. I see a buy and sell baby-board, but it doesn't look like there's (m)any posts. How come? Is it brand new, or is this kind of thing not really that common? If I decide to go Norco, obviously I'd like to sell all my old stuff (which is barely used...lol), to fund the BIG box. 2) I had a 4220, but if I have to rebuy, the 4020 is about $35 cheaper right now. Is there much difference? It was mostly the drive bay design, right? 3) Even though the 4224 is $400, if I'm really going to bite the bullet, and just go for all the case I'll ever need, this might be the choice. Except, of course, unRAID only supports 20 or 21 drives right now (I forget, is that 19 + parity or 20 + parity). Is the rumor about at least 24-drive support a likely reality; just a matter of time?

Oh, also; is it my imagination, or didn't I see that the 4224...at one time...had (3) 120mm fans, instead of the previous Norco's (noisy) 4x80mm configuration? Looks like it's "back" to 4x80, or did I dream that whole thing to begin with?

Thanks. Ugh,

CD

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG; I'm afraid I may have changed my mind...YET AGAIN  :'(

Wow... I thought I was indecisive!  :):P

Yeah; it's not "indecisive" as much as it's a case of "grass is always greener". When I was first going to go hot-swap, I had no intention of jumping into the 20-drive Norco. But...as has been pointed out many a time...once you start pricing out hot-swap solutions, they just kill bang-for-the-buck wise.

Take my current build. All you have to do is take (3) 5-in-3 iStars...at ~$100 per...and you've got a 4020, with 20 drives instead of 15; not to mention the case, backplane, fans, etc. It's a no-brainer, cost-wise.

So...why didn't I stick? Because after I got it, my rip strategy changed. It was big...and loud...and it was becoming apparent to me that I would need nowhere near 20 drives. So to keep something so big...and loud...that would go half unused, at best, seemed dumb. I started embracing the ideal of "small and simple"; and cheap...lol.

I sold the Norco, went back to the ARK I couldn't sell, and was fine; until a drive problem reared up. Then I realized...for me...non hot-swap was a PITA. So I tried to have the best of both worlds; "small and simple", but still cram 15 hot-swap drives to take advantage of the Pro key I paid for.

Now...I'm thinking maybe I wish I had one less thing to ever have to worry about. Get a 20 or 24-drive beast, stick it in a tucked-away corner of the house somewhere, and that's my box...for LIFE...lol. I'd do it, but I think I'll take an absolute beating on the parts I wouldn't need anymore.

That's why I asked about a place to sell here at LT. If I could get like $40 for the ARK, and like $110 for the AeroCool with iStar cage, I'd cough up the other half for a Norco. Ugh  :-\

CD

Yeah, I couldn't resist havin' a little fun with you.  I know what you mean, though.

I thought long and hard about what I needed and didn't want/need before I finally pulled the trigger on my current build.  I definitely thought about the big Norco box too, but for me, I just decided to go a different way.

It's cool that there are so many choices available, but it does make it hard to pick one! :)