Yet Another, Latest AeroCool VS-9 Build

CDLehner

Newegg and other retailers often show the drive cages on their side. The cages can only be mounted vertically, they won't fit any other way. If you want horizontal drives you have to use 4in3s or smaller, or just put your whole server on its side.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Thanks Newegg :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey superorb...regards my hd204ui; I have a SATA dock. Anyway I can do this drive maintenance now? Outside my build; while I'm trying to decide when to flip the switch?

Thanks,

CD

It can't hurt to try. Unplug the other drives, plug in the Samsung drive, and turn on the PC with the firmware USB drive/floppy. I don't know if your BIOS will recognize the drive in the dock, but it's worth a shot. You could always just plug the Samsung into one of the cords you unplugged since you'll e in there anyways, at least then you'd know it will work.

Hey superorb...regards my hd204ui; I have a SATA dock. Anyway I can do this drive maintenance now? Outside my build; while I'm trying to decide when to flip the switch?

Thanks,

CD

It can't hurt to try. Unplug the other drives, plug in the Samsung drive, and turn on the PC with the firmware USB drive/floppy. I don't know if your BIOS will recognize the drive in the dock, but it's worth a shot. You could always just plug the Samsung into one of the cords you unplugged since you'll e in there anyways, at least then you'd know it will work.

Oh...it has to be run on the boot? I just can't flash the fw in from the dock? I can build my own server, but I really don't get hd fw.  ???

CD

Oh...it has to be run on the boot? I just can't flash the fw in from the dock? I can build my own server, but I really don't get hd fw.  ???

CD

Flashing firmware (for most devices) takes place with a bootable floppy/CD/USB Drive. If your BIOS recognizes the drive in the dock at boot you can do that, but I don't know if it will. Does the dock connect to the SATA headers on your motherboard? If so, you should be good to use the dock.

CD

Flashing firmware (for most devices) takes place with a bootable floppy/CD/USB Drive. If your BIOS recognizes the drive in the dock at boot you can do that, but I don't know if it will. Does the dock connect to the SATA headers on your motherboard? If so, you should be good to use the dock.

It's a SATA/usb dock...but if I have to disconnect the other drives inside my PC, what's the point? That's no easier than doing it the "other" way. OK...so I guess my plan is this: Port the boxover , make sure everything is working. Then I can go through the process of swapping out the parity. Then I guess I can flash the fw on the boot, by just making sure the other drives in the array aren't connected?

Then I can get the parity online, and bring all the other drives back into the mix? Man, sounds much messier than what I've had to do in the past...and I've moved the box 4 times...lol. Oh well...nothing I can't handle; as long as I take it slow, and get plenty of dumbed-down help from the forum. Can't be too careful with your data!

CD

You don't HAVE to disconnect the other drives in the box, it's just a precautionary measure. But, since it's USB I don't know if it'll show up on boot. Since you'll have to connect the drive to the motherboard you might as well disconnect the other drives. You can always do it in a regular PC that might not have as many drives to make it easier.

...and from the back. What's the verdict; doesn't look unuseably deep?

I'd say it looks pretty good.  Not really much deeper in than the backs of ryand833's drives in his pics.  Tough to tell for sure, but it looks like the fan unit might overhang the mobo a tad.  Post up some more pics once you've got the mobo in there, if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks,

-Gary

...and from the back. What's the verdict; doesn't look unuseably deep?

I'd say it looks pretty good.  Not really much deeper in than the backs of ryand833's drives in his pics.  Tough to tell for sure, but it looks like the fan unit might overhang the mobo a tad.  Post up some more pics once you've got the mobo in there, if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks,

-Gary

Yup, I plan to Gary. Gonna make the switch on Saturday. Stay tuned.

CD

OK, I'm in Tech...and this is how I spend my day off; (re-)building my server? So, out with the old. Lemme give some love to my old/first case. This ARK 4U-500 really did serve me well; first, as my starter case for my very first build, and then when I went back to it...after I decided the Norco 4220 was too much for my needs. It's built like 2 brick shithouses, and is very roomy.

Some pics of the old guy, as I take him apart...

DSC01655-1.jpgDSC01656.jpg

Cable management? We don't need no stinkin' cable management...lol. In all fairness, I always had the feeling it was a temporary solution; and either I would replace it, or get in there and clean things up some. Old drive cage; very non hot-swap...lol.

DSC01657.jpgDSC01658.jpg

The 5.25" cage; plus room for a 3.5 (this is where I kept the Parity drive).

DSC01659.jpgDSC01660.jpg

My PSU. With nothing but the MoBo left to extract, you can see just how roomy the ARK is. Front...

DSC01661.jpgDSC01662.jpg

And back. MoBo out (I'll go over parts in a minute)

DSC01663.jpgDSC01664.jpg

Anyone interested in moving into this spacious case, just let me know.

DSC01666.jpg

DSC01668.jpgDSC01667.jpg

CD

OK...so here is the AeroCool VS-9, as it sits currently; with the iStar cage trial-fitted in the case.

DSC01669.jpg

Earlier, someone asked for a better picture of the back...with the iStar in place; so they could better determine the depth. So, before I pull it out, here you go

DSC01670.jpg

MoBo in place (front and back). This is my favorite time of a new build. You can finally get a sense of how things are going to fit and come together; but everything is still nice and clean...lol.

DSC01672.jpgDSC01671.jpg

Since I plan to lay this case on its side, horizontally...I took the opportunity to pull the case-feet off from the inside.

DSC01673.jpgDSC01674.jpg

PSU in. One of the things I really like about this case, is there is a ton of ventilation around the sides and bottom. One of the few complaints I had about the ARK...and it was minor...is I didn't know how best to orient the PSU. Everyone said "you want the fan blowing out"...but with the ARK, that meant it blowing right into the side of the case. I wasn't sure if that was better than at least blowing freely...even if it was warm air...back into the case. As you can see, not an issue with this VS-9; although I do wish the whole fan was exposed. Nit-picking I suppose?

DSC01677.jpgDSC01675.jpg

Another thing I like about the case; I'm not sure if you can see it or not, but there is a little "bracket" to snug in the PSU and ATX board; and the case has a "seat" for the PSU. So far so good. Next up...my least favorite part of the build; hooking-up the Front panel. In fact, I might need some help.

DSC01676.jpg

CD

OK, quick question: the front panel of the VS-9 is offering me HD Audio or AC'97. I guess it turns out they're both audio (what, is AC'97 like AC-3, aka Dolby Digital, aka 7.1?). So my MoBo manual says

the front panel audio header supports HD audio by default. If your chassis provides an AC'97 front panel audio module, refer to the instructions on how to activate AC'97 functionality via the audio software in Chapter 5, "Configuring 2/4/5.1/7.1-Channel Audio."

Conisdering this is just an unRAID server, I assume I want to just use HD Audio, rather than go through any special set-up for 7.1 that I won't use?

Thanks,

CD

OK, quick question: the front panel of the VS-9 is offering me HD Audio or AC'97. I guess it turns out they're both audio (what, is AC'97 like AC-3, aka Dolby Digital, aka 7.1?). So my MoBo manual says

the front panel audio header supports HD audio by default. If your chassis provides an AC'97 front panel audio module, refer to the instructions on how to activate AC'97 functionality via the audio software in Chapter 5, "Configuring 2/4/5.1/7.1-Channel Audio."

Conisdering this is just an unRAID server, I assume I want to just use HD Audio, rather than go through any special set-up for 7.1 that I won't use?

Thanks,

CD

The ONLY audio unRAID supports is the motherboard speaker.  It will "beep" it.  you cannot play music or movies through it.  All you can do is issue the "beep" command.

Don't worry about the audio options in the BIOS, they can basically be disabled or ignored.

OK, gettin' on with the gettin' on. I love it when the FPanel connectors are clearly marked. Then the SATA cables. I can already see where this is going to be a tight fit on this side.

DSC01678.jpgDSC01680.jpg

Then power. Now the iStar went back in. I'm not even all the way in yet, and you can see things are tight on this side...where the SATA cables attach to the board. I could definitely use some 90-degree connectors, but I only have 2 on hand.

DSC01679.jpgDSC01681.jpg

It might not look like it, but this is the depth I want the cage at; it's flush with the front panel bezel.

DSC01683.jpg

And you can see...in its final resting place...just how pinched those SATA cables are. I thought about just going over to the other side of the case with this first cage, but I hadn't clipped those tabs. I tried it...with my new-found, cross-cut plier method...and I don't know if it's just the case was much harder to maneuver now, with all the parts in it...or if that isn't going to be as easy as it seemed after all; but just 1 tab was a b*tch, and instead of trying to do 15 more at this point, I just said screw it (there has GOT to be a better way to deal with these tabs, going forward...and yes, that is a question!). You can also see how badly I scratched my cage up. No sending it back now...lol.

DSC01684.jpg

iStar data hooked up. Can anyone say modular PSU? Trust me, if I had known about them...and the issues you'd run into without one...that's the direction I would have went. Best laid plans; this build isn't going to win me any management awards either...lol. Not that I'm done; at some point, I'll have to go back in.  :(

DSC01686.jpgDSC01687.jpg

Well, it fired up; I guess that's good. Now all that's left, is to get these guys back online. I should be able to get to management page, even without HDDs, yes? Nevermind...there I am. Success!! For now. Oh, btw; newbie question...what's this cutaway on the bottom of the case for? Obviously it's to get at something on the underside of the MoBo...but is that supposed to mean anything to me?

DSC01689.jpgDSC01688-1.jpg

CD

Oh, btw; newbie question...what's this cutaway on the bottom of the case for? Obviously it's to get at something on the underside of the MoBo...but is that supposed to mean anything to me?

The cutout is to allow you to attach a backplate for a CPU heat sink without having to remove the motherboard.

BTW, I'm enjoying reading this thread about your system build! :)

OK, well...here it is, all packed full again and back on the rack. Actually, this is before I made the same mistake everyone else does with this iStar, and powered on the drives...lol. I don't know if all cages have that feature, but I like; I'm not sure when I'd need individual control of the power to each drive...as opposed to just popping it...but it's nice to know you have it, in case you ever do.

Looks like Nuclear Winter at my house, with that flash. I'm not done done, but as long as I get the array back working...next I have to tackle replacing the parity with a hd204ui, and then I'll just let it stew for a while. Hopefully, by the time I need the 2nd cage, someone will school me on a better way to deal with those tabs (my wife suggested they needed heating somehow), and when I go back in I'll see if I can't straighten up the cabling some.

DSC01690.jpg

CD

And you can see...in its final resting place...just how pinched those SATA cables are. I thought about just going over to the other side of the case with this first cage, but I hadn't clipped those tabs. I tried it...with my new-found, cross-cut plier method...and I don't know if it's just the case was much harder to maneuver now, with all the parts in it...or if that isn't going to be as easy as it seemed after all; but just 1 tab was a b*tch, and instead of trying to do 15 more at this point, I just said screw it (there has GOT to be a better way to deal with these tabs, going forward...and yes, that is a question!). You can also see how badly I scratched my cage up. No sending it back now...lol.

DSC01684.jpg

Awesome pics and documentation of your build!  I really like how it's shaping up.  Although it looks, like you said, a bit tight on space it does look like there will be enough room.  I was wondering how much space you would have between the fan on the iStar cage and your MB, but it looks like more than I thought.

It really looks as though, if your sata sockets on the board were vertical instead of horizontal (and in the back instead of the front), you'd have *plenty* of room.  While it may be unfortunate that your sata ports are arranged that way, it looks like you're also very lucky that they happen to sit right between where the two fan 'blocks' will be once you've installed your second iStar (and, that you're using the sata power plugs - molex ones look to be covered up)!

Great job!  Great to see you've got it up and running!

Quick question about the iStars:

What type of indicator lights are there for the individual drives?  I'm assuming power, how about activity?  Do all the indicators work off of just the standard sata/power connectors? Also, what do you think about the build quality?  Would you choose the same cage again if you were going to do another build?

Thanks!

Quick question about the iStars:

What type of indicator lights are there for the individual drives?  I'm assuming power, how about activity?  Do all the indicators work off of just the standard sata/power connectors? Also, what do you think about the build quality?  Would you choose the same cage again if you were going to do another build?

Thanks!

Gary, thanks for the compliments on the build. I don't know; you see all these great builds, and sometimes I feel like mine is just a thrown-together, piece of sh*t...lol. But it gets the job done. Part of my job is training and documentation, so I guess I take good pics of the process.

The iStar has 7 LEDs; 5 are power/activity combo, one is an overheat warning, and one is a fan warning. As far as the build quality...it's good. I don't have anything to compare it against, except for the brief moment I had a SuperMicro; before I realized it was too deep (and now realize it's like the deepest cage around) for my case at the time, and sent it back. But the cage is heavy, and the trays are solid.

I never mentioned the rest of my parts (not that anyone was asking...lol), but for the record...

AeroCool VS-9 case

GigaByte MA790GPT-UD3H MoBo

AMD Athlon II x2 240 CPU

G.Skill DDR3-1600 2G

Corsair 650TX PSU

iStar BPU-350SATA-Blue

Right now, I've got a 1.5T drive in the parity, and 4 x 1T for data. As I've mentioned, I decided to take the parity up to 2T, so I can start upgrading drives. But I bought the "notorious" hd204ui without knowing the issue. My next step, is carefully getting that prepped and ready, and making the parity switch. Oh, and I guess I should upgrade my unRAID  :-[

CD

Build is looking good :)

FWIW, AC97 is the old school audio, it has been around forever.

Also, even with a modular PSU, you've got bunches of cabling that cannot be removed. Some PSU's have a bunch of PCIe connectors that we'd never use for an unRAID build. I want a PSU where ALL wires can be disconnected so I only use the ones I'm using. I guess I could always snip the wires, but that's not the best way to do things with exposed power and ground wires everywhere.

Gary, thanks for the compliments on the build. I don't know; you see all these great builds, and sometimes I feel like mine is just a thrown-together, piece of sh*t...lol. But it gets the job done. Part of my job is training and documentation, so I guess I take good pics of the process.

You're welcome, and don't worry, mine won't ever live up to some of the insanely clean and/or expensive builds that are pictured on these forums either!  I guess, when it comes down to it, I don't really care that much about looks.  Like you, I just get the parts that I think will get the job done.  Also, I realize that cable management is important for cooling and ease of maintenance, but I pretty much do the minimum required to accomplish that :).

Along those same lines, I used to consider the hot-swap stuff to be a lot of fluff and additional complexity (and expense) for not a lot of gain for an unRAID box, but I am seriously considering the 5 in 3 backplanes now, just because it seems to be a good way to get a lot of drives in a medium-sized case.  Live and learn, I guess!

The iStar has 7 LEDs; 5 are power/activity combo, one is an overheat warning, and one is a fan warning. As far as the build quality...it's good. I don't have anything to compare it against, except for the brief moment I had a SuperMicro; before I realized it was too deep (and now realize it's like the deepest cage around) for my case at the time, and sent it back. But the cage is heavy, and the trays are solid.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like these are going to be on my short list when I start looking.

I never mentioned the rest of my parts (not that anyone was asking...lol), but for the record...

AeroCool VS-9 case

GigaByte MA790GPT-UD3H MoBo

AMD Athlon II x2 240 CPU

G.Skill DDR3-1600 2G

Corsair 650TX PSU

iStar BPU-350SATA-Blue

Looks like an all-around nice build, not that I'm an expert.  I plan to make the jump to a different case with more external bays sometime soon, which is primarily why I was interested in your thread.  Based on the generally good experiences posted by both you and ryand833, it looks like the Aerocool case will be on my list for consideration.

Thanks!

Right now, I've got a 1.5T drive in the parity, and 4 x 1T for data. As I've mentioned, I decided to take the parity up to 2T, so I can start upgrading drives. But I bought the "notorious" hd204ui without knowing the issue. My next step, is carefully getting that prepped and ready, and making the parity switch.  Oh, and I guess I should upgrade my unRAID  :-[

CD

Good luck w/ your drive upgrade.  Hopefully the hd204ui will work out.  And, yeah, I upgraded to 4.7 when I got my WD 20EARS and recommend it.  It seems very stable.

Along those same lines, I used to consider the hot-swap stuff to be a lot of fluff and additional complexity (and expense) for not a lot of gain for an unRAID box, but I am seriously considering the 5 in 3 backplanes now, just because it seems to be a good way to get a lot of drives in a medium-sized case.  Live and learn, I guess!

Gary, take it from someone who went from non hot-swap, to hot-swap...back to non, and now back to hot-swap. It's like insurance; when things are fine, you'll wonder why you need it...but when there's a problem, you'll be glad you have it. When a drive starts to go bad, or you need to troubleshoot it...it is a royal PITA...to drag the case down, crack it open, try to do maintenance, etc, etc. At least it was for me.

CD

While that Aerocool case looks good, I'm concerned that it may be provided with far too many 'ventilation' holes but without any scientific design.

Good cooling should be by design, with control over air flow.  That case looks like it's just had holes cut wherever they could be fitted in - relying on convection for much of the flow.  Unless you use drive cages with fans built in, there is nothing to encourage air to flow past the drives.

I have achieved a 2C reduction in drive temperatures, with no appreciable detriment to mobo/processor temps, by blocking superfluous holes in my Thermaltake case.