No space left on device

I am currently running Unraid 6.9.1.

I removed a VM; but thank goodness i have a backup on another nas.

I have that share mounted to unraid and when i try to copy over the VM folder, which is about 80gigs. i get the following error message "No space left on device" 

I have in total 8TB and have only used 2TB, so i have enough space. this VM was already on unraid but i am just not sure why i keep getting this error message when i copy it from my backup nas. this actually crashes my array and i have to reboot the system. Please help.

thanks.

Is it normal that you have 180 shares ? It is unusual to see that many.

Particularly because most of them are # Share exists on no drives

You might have an app misconfigured that write at the wrong level and create folders as shares, or made a manual copy ?

On the initial topic, what particular share(s) is not being moved ?  I don't want to check all of the 180 shares. :D 

the only share that i am moving is the one for the VM; which is under domains/Ldownload. I had done it before on the previous version of unraid, so i am not sure if this is a bug or just something i have misconfigured that i had not seen before.

Also, i don't have 180 shares. which is strange.

Edited by mrtek007
1 hour ago, mrtek007 said:

i don't have 180 shares. which is strange.

Any folder at the top level of cache or array is a user share. If you specify a path at the top level of cache or array or /mnt/user, it is automatically a user share even if you don't specifically create it as a user share in the webUI.

User shares have .cfg files which can be seen in your diagnostics in the shares folder. Those .cfg files will be created when a user share is created, but won't be deleted if the user share no longer exists. This clutters up your diagnostics with a lot of share .cfg files that have no files associated with them.

2 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

I don't want to check all of the 180 shares.

No point in checking any of them in those diagnostics because the array isn't started so no shares exist and we can't even see if the disks mount.

@mrtek007

Start the array and post new diagnostics.

So i've been playing around and noticed something.  rootfs has 16g but when I do an appdata restore it filling up and giving me that error of no space on disk. this is how it looks when i rebooted the server again. i am assuming that it is the same issue when i copy my VM over to the unraid server.

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs           16G  860M   15G   6% /
devtmpfs         16G     0   16G   0% /dev
tmpfs            16G     0   16G   0% /dev/shm
cgroup_root     8.0M     0  8.0M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           128M  204K  128M   1% /var/log
/dev/sda1        30G  651M   29G   3% /boot
overlay          16G  860M   15G   6% /lib/modules
overlay          16G  860M   15G   6% /lib/firmware
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/disks
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/remotes

Something screwy with your setup somewhere.

According to your diagnostics, you don't have cache, but appdata has some files on cache.

I am guessing you have somehow somewhere specified an appdata path that isn't actually on a disk or user share and so it is instead in RAM.

I noticed that too, but i've never had any cache drive for the many years i've been using unraid. I guess my only option will be to install another drive and assign it as a cache drive? or is there a way to change the shares that specify "prefer:cache" or "yes:cache" to say no.

Edited by mrtek007

So I found that 1 of my dockers was pointing to /mnt/cache/appdata. I modified that but it still gave me issues.  I ended up installing a 500gig SSD and assigned it as cache. everything seems to be working fine now. 

my thing is, what if I didn't have a cache drive. I get that it uses memory for it but shouldn't the software not allow for it to be completely taken over and bringing down the whole array. I really didn't have this issue until recently after I updated it to 6.9, could it be a bug?   

• 11 months later...