We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Unraid crashing on building Parity and / or rebuilding Disk

Hello All,

I have decided to add some 18tb drives to my server.

This would involve rebuilding parity from 2x 12tb disks to 2x 18tb disks.

Parity was last checked 01/04.

The plan was to pull one parity and swap it for one of the new 18tb disks and then do the same for the second parity.

However on booting up after plugging in the new drives Disk 2 was giving found but emulated.

Disk is actually fine and has been checked so im happy to rebuild it using parity.

I assigned the new parity and started the array.

Unraid started rebuilding and building.

Sometime later unraid crashes.

I have tried doing both operations together and  separate however I still get crashes. Cannot ping Unraid and have to hard reset.

Syslog and diagnostics attached.

Im not bothered if the data on disk 2 survives as I do have another backup. However I am concerned as to why rebuild is not working.

I do need the pparity build to work as I need it to move forward with drive swapping.

Any help would be appreciated.

syslog plex-diagnostics-20210407-0316.zip

Pulled out one of my cards and its a Marvell controller. My other 2 are ASM1061.

Got an order for a few cards with ASM1166, ASM1061 and LSI SAS2108 chips on them.

For future reference Card is a 88SE9215 chip, bought from amazon: Rivo 4 Port SATA III PCIe 3.0 X1 Controller Card, PCI Express to SATA 3.0 6G, Marvell 88SE9215, Black.

Ill try therm out tomorrow and report back. Hopefully its only the Marvell card.