crap...power supply problem

jakebake

So I just got in a new PSU. This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

I was using this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031&cm_re=rs_500-_-17-171-031-_-Product

I switched PSUs plugged everything in and now I don't even get a picture on the screen like the motherboard logo...

I tried without unraid flash drive and without hard drives. I also tried my old power supply which I know works. It is now doing the same thing....

now what :/

Did you check all the obvious things? :)

Monitor cable plugged in tight?

Video Card seated properly? (Assuming you are using a discrete video card)

Power cable (both of them) from Power Supply plugged in tight into the mobo?

If video card has dedicated power cable, is it plugged in?

haha yeah..

using on board video

monitor plugged in

both power cables plugged in

I literally didnt touch ANYTHING and turned in on after like 10 mins and it worked...

so I switched out the PSUs and now it does not work again.

Doh! Sometimes it's best to double check the obvious stuff first :). But since you've done that, and you have same issue with the old PS.... It's possible that mobo got damaged when swapping PS :(....

Just for kicks, try pulling the ram and reseating it. Sometimes the weird unexplainable crap gets solved by that. Even if Ram wasn't touched... Long shot, but... And while you're at it, reset the Bios (pull the battery for a minute)... I'm a firm believer in eliminating all options, no matter how unlikely, before assuming a major component is toast for no apparent reason....

Doh! Sometimes it's best to double check the obvious stuff first :). But since you've done that, and you have same issue with the old PS.... It's possible that mobo got damaged when swapping PS :(....

Just for kicks, try pulling the ram and reseating it. Sometimes the weird unexplainable crap gets solved by that. Even if Ram wasn't touched... Long shot, but... And while you're at it, reset the Bios (pull the battery for a minute)... I'm a firm believer in eliminating all options, no matter how unlikely, before assuming a major component is toast for no apparent reason....

what i dont get though is that it worked and then now is not working again? i did reseat the ram...nothing :( How doI take the battery out?

taking the battery out didn't do anything :(

Do you think it is the motherboard? Not the processor? Or anything else? I just don't get why just changing the power supply would do this... maybe it is just coincidence. It worked though and then stopped. I guess that does sound like a motherboard issue? I bought this on newegg I might just go to frys tomorrow and pick another one up and try it and see if it works? ugh! haha

Swapping PSU without propper earthing can destroy the motherboard with static electricity. I have a PSU tester (which is quite cheap, sells for a few bucks), which tells me if all voltages are correct and if the PSU is ok or not. Simple Device, but worth a million if you have a suspicious PSU. Some PSUs run smooth if you shortcut the green cable with any of the black ones (ground). But in real they have sone voltages which arent correct - and this results in very strange behaviour.

Buy a PSU tester, check your PSUs. If they are OK, maybe you sent your motherboard to motherboard heaven ...

Swapping PSU without propper earthing can destroy the motherboard with static electricity.

It doesn't happen that often, but it certainly can :(. As far as what is bad... Chances are good that if something failed from swapping out PS, it would be the mobo... Nothing is ever guaranteed though, with the weird cases like yours... If Fry's has a good return policy if it turns out not to be the mobo, then I think that's a good next step. I hate trying to isolate a problem by replacing parts one at a time, but sometimes, that's all you can do...

Good Luck!

Swapping PSU without propper earthing can destroy the motherboard with static electricity.

It doesn't happen that often, but it certainly can :(. As far as what is bad... Chances are good that if something failed from swapping out PS, it would be the mobo... Nothing is ever guaranteed though, with the weird cases like yours... If Fry's has a good return policy if it turns out not to be the mobo, then I think that's a good next step. I hate trying to isolate a problem by replacing parts one at a time, but sometimes, that's all you can do...

Good Luck!

yeah that is the worst, but oh well. Frys does have a good return policy (the only good thing about them heh) so I'll just try it. Should I use my old PSU or the new one? What can I do to prevent not messing this one up as well. I didn't know that could happen and have never had that happen before.

Well, the new PSU is a better part (higher efficiency, single 12v rail), but if the original one was not giving you problems (why did you replace it in the first place?), I would probably try it first. If all runs well, I would swap it out for the newer, better PSU. If your board dies again, chances are good the PSU is frying it (which I highly doubt)...

In a best case scenario, you would want to be working on a grounded static mat, with yourself grounded as well... As we rarely find ourselves in the situation where that sort of stuff is available (i.e.: Not that I'm implying I often work under the desk with a headlamp on my head because I'm too lazy to pull the server out and unplug everything... :)), you should at the very least make sure you are grounded before touching the box (at the very least, touch something metal to discharge any charge you've built up just before touching any components) and try and avoid working on say... carpet :).

Good Luck!

Well, the new PSU is a better part (higher efficiency, single 12v rail), but if the original one was not giving you problems (why did you replace it in the first place?), I would probably try it first. If all runs well, I would swap it out for the newer, better PSU. If your board dies again, chances are good the PSU is frying it (which I highly doubt)...

In a best case scenario, you would want to be working on a grounded static mat, with yourself grounded as well... As we rarely find ourselves in the situation where that sort of stuff is available (i.e.: Not that I'm implying I often work under the desk with a headlamp on my head because I'm too lazy to pull the server out and unplug everything... :)), you should at the very least make sure you are grounded before touching the box (at the very least, touch something metal to discharge any charge you've built up just before touching any components) and try and avoid working on say... carpet :).

Good Luck!

Ok will do! thanks for the help. I used to worry about all that but never had a problem until now so just would work on it wherever haha. I changed the PSU because it is single rail and eventually I will be adding more hard drives and I thought that was better?

Going to frys after work. Wish me luck! haha

Great news! It's unfortunate your motherboard died, but at least it was an easy swap!

I bet you'll always be grounding yourself before swapping out parts in the future ;)

haha yes I will! since it never happened I figured it wasn't really something that happened much. Guess I was wrong!   ;) I am glad it was so easy... I was dreading the headache waiting to happen if the motherboard swap didn't fix it.