Are a handful of sync errors normal?

• 2 months later...

In regards to the parity sync errors, I too have pulled my hair out trying to troubleshoot some, and have never been able too.  Memtest is clean, ran it for 72 hours.  Drives were initially all fine when I went through  this (one has since had reallocation errors, but is fixed, and the problem still persists).  Three preclears per drive with zero errors, and clean SMART.

Basically, I have seven data drives in my array + parity.  Every time I run a parity check, unRAID finds 7 parity errors in the same location every time.  I repair the error.  On the next check, it finds the same 7 errors on the same sectors.  I have four drives on the MB and three on a Supermicro.  I have went through backplanes, and without backplanes.  I've moved cables around, probably three different cables tried on each drive (only two on the Supermicro breakout cables).  I've swapped out 1TB drives for 2TB drives, rebuilt, and the same error appears on the same spot on the new 2TB drives.  I actually started getting this error with 6 data drives and got six errors.  I added a seventh drive, and on the first parity check afterwards, it went to seven errors.

The only conclusion I could come to was that it was some problem on the Gigabyte motherboard, but what that could be, I have no idea (and no way to fix it short of replacing the MB, CPU, and RAM).  The network adapter on the MB did flake out (a gigabit adapter that stopped negotiating gigabit, even when forced), so maybe the disk controller is flaky too. The errors don't seem to effect anything, so it doesn't bother me in this temporary system.

I am collecting the parts for a 20 drive build (vs 12 drive in this build) in a Norco 4220 so I can rackmount.  I have a new MSI MB and Sempron 145, so I will be curious to see if these errors disappear with the new build.

It could be a memory issue. Unfortunately, memtest does not detect all possible memory problems. Recently, a user with the same problem tested his memory for 9+ hours and found no problems. But when he used only one memory stick instead of two the problem went away.

• 12 years later...
On 2/27/2011 at 8:06 AM, SSD said:

:)  Glad to help.  Hope you are able to solve your issue!

what if your hardware is fine and you formated your parity disks and then did a parity check and got less than 50 sync errors? I guess go back and check hardware and ram? Also does rebooting do something with parity on the usb

2 hours ago, CSIG1001 said:

what if your hardware is fine and you formated your parity disks and then did a parity check and got less than 50 sync errors? I guess go back and check hardware and ram? Also does rebooting do something with parity on the usb

I am not sure a 12 years old thread is the best place to find current answers.

You should probably start a thread in general support.

https://forums.unraid.net/forum/55-general-support/