[SOLVED] Cache pool drive 2 showing as Unassigned - cannot add it back to pool or remove slot

Hi all,

I am having an issue where one of my SSDs in my cache pool is showing up as an Unassigned Device. I have tried two different things so far:

1) When I stop the array to try and re-add it to the cache pool, it gives an error saying "All existing data on this device will be OVERWRITTEN when array is Started".

2) If I try to set the Slots back to 1, then start the array, I get the following error for the disk that is in the cache pool "Unmountable: No file system"

I am not sure how to proceed and could use some help. I have attached the diagnostics as well.

Thanks!

Dave

tower-diagnostics-20210609-1629.zip

Edited by dave

An interesting thing is that the Unassigned Device is showing as 1.07GB in size. This is a 128GB SSD drive. My cache pool included a 120GB and 128GB to create a pool size of 124GB. 

The cache pool is still showing size of 124GB even though the second disk in the pool is missing. Is this correct?

image.thumb.png.1130428d00b04965bc671ecb3a053d0e.png

10 hours ago, dave said:

he cache pool is still showing size of 124GB even though the second disk in the pool is missing. Is this correct?

It's still mounting the pool (including the unassigned device), since it's available.

11 hours ago, dave said:

I get the Missing Disk error and the Start button is greyed out: 

image.png.5d1ecc5ad542f91282ddc8977c767bc9.png

Ok, I tried all the permutations available to these disks and nothing worked. Fortunately I was still able to access the cache disk share so I copied off all of the files I needed then started over. I am back up and running! This really highlighted to me the importance of having parity on the data otherwise this could have been much much worse. I also am now going to start copying the data from the cache drive to the array more frequently so this is an even smaller issue in the future. Thanks all!

• dave changed the title to [SOLVED] Cache pool drive 2 showing as Unassigned - cannot add it back to pool or remove slot
  • 2 years later...