Unraid isn't respecting my cache pool settings for the shares.

I have a share for home movies/photos that is set to not use the cache. This share is called "Photos".

I have a share called "Downloads" that is set to use the cache. This is my main drop-off for everything. Sonarr and Radarr use it for actual downloads but I also use it to do file dumps from my camera/phone.

I just got back from a vacation and I dumped all the photos from my phone to the Downloads share. At this point, the files are on the cache drive. I then moved them, using the terminal, to the Photos share with the following:

mv /mnt/user/downloads/photo-dump/* /mnt/user/photos

Now, for some reason, there is a photos folder on the cache drive with all my new photos in it. Despite me setting "Use cache pool" to No.

I know I can use the user0 folder, instead, when doing the move but I feel like that shouldn't be necessary. Is there something I'm not understanding about unraid and the way it handles the cache drive? Or is there some settings I need to adjust?

Not a linux poweruser but here is what I understand :

The cache is part of /mnt/user/ so if the mv command does the simplest thing : change the path and not actually move the files. mv is not aware of your drives or the cache share settings, only of the path it sees.

Doing it this way, you are actually bypassing parts of the OS. If you had moved your files from your desktop through SMB, it would have worked as you intended.

Once the files are in cache\photos and this share is not cached the mover does not touch those files.

1 minute ago, ChatNoir said:

If you had moved your files from your desktop through SMB, it would have worked as you intended.

If I moved it through the SMB I'd hit the network and essentially be downloading it to my computer and re-uploading it to unraid. At that point, from unraid's perspective, it wouldn't be a move but a delete and an add.

So yeah, I guess this just solidifies your statement that using mv at the terminal "bypasses" unraid. Sounds like the best unraid can handle is added files/folders.

16 minutes ago, Hollandex said:

If I moved it through the SMB I'd hit the network and essentially be downloading it to my computer and re-uploading it to unraid. At that point, from unraid's perspective, it wouldn't be a move but a delete and an add.

I think that modern OSs are smarter than that and can move file in the host without downloading/uploading. :)

On my Win10 system, I can move a 28 GB file from one share to the other at 250+ MB/s. Way higher than my 1Gbps network.