Unmountable Disks and Disk Errors

GTP

I am trying to figure out what could be causing the errors in my attached screenshot and Diagnostics file. Unraid is telling me I have two unmountable disks. So I did a complete tear down and ensured all connections were solid. Disk 8 and 9 still will not mount and I continue to have errors on others disks. I have attached a screenshot from before (more disk errors) and after a restart after re-securing the cables. Do I have dead drives? Also I noticed that I am several version behind in my Unraid updates should I wait to update until after these issues are resolved.

Thanks for your help as always!

GTP

Annotation 2021-09-13 140211.png

Annotation 2021-09-13 140210.png

tower-diagnostics-20210913-1449.zip

Edited by GTP
Noticed the Unraid Version I was on

Not only are they unmountable, they are also disabled. Syslog doesn't show us anything from before the reboot so don't know how you got to this state. You will have to repair the filesystems on both disks, then rebuild them.

You have more disks than I care to examine SMART reports for. Do any of your disks show SMART warnings on the Dashboard page?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply @trurl. I checked my dashboard and it says all my disks are in Healthy status. I re-ordered cables again because this is not the first time this has occurred. I will also have two empty drive ready tomorrow if I need to replace any. I tried to do a repair on disk 8 but it said fatal error Input/Output. I will reach out tomorrow or the next when the cables arrive and after I have replaced the cables again to see if I am able to repair. Since I will have the disks to replace would you recommend just chucking the disabled disks? I also can't seem to repair disk 6. Thanks for your help, I let my server get in bad shape and I am trying to fix it up again. You have helped me before and I always appreciate it. 

Thank you,

GTP

@trurl I have received new cables again and did a complete teardown and rebuild. I checked all my cables and then did a repair on the disabled disks (Disk 8 and 9). I have attached the Diagnostics file and so far the only thing wrong with the disks is that they are disabled. Should I go ahead and start the array with those disks as no device and then stop it and start it to rebuild(Can I do both disk rebuilds at once)? I'm just happy I am not seeing I/O errors! I know I have other issues as well like docker image size. I am prepared to fix everything as soon as I have all disks enabled. I also wanted to let you know that on the dashboard all disks are reporting a status of healthy in their Smart Status.

Thank you,

GTP

tower-diagnostics-20210915-1715.zip

Edited by GTP
Forgot to attach file

@trurl I left the server running last night and performed no input or output operations and I woke up to errors on 6 disks. I have repaired all disks but disks 8, 9 and 11. I cannot seem to get those to mount again even thought the repair comes back as done. I have included a diagnostic file. I am at a complete loss everything was fine when I went to bed last night. The I/O errors seem to be back as well. I just tried to repair a disk that said it had errors on it and it gave me the I/O error.

Thank you,

tower-diagnostics-20210916-1330.zip

@trurl I have installed the new 600 watt power supply so now I have dual PSU 750W and 600W. All the disks mounted and are not showing any errors. I started the array let it run for a few minutes then I shut it down and did a check -n on every disk. No errors, so I think I can go ahead and start the rebuild of disk 8 and 9 that are disabled. I have attached Diagnostics please let me know if I am following the correct procedure. I am going to start the array with no device for those two disks then stop it and then and the add the drives back and start the array to rebuild.

Thank you for your help,

GTP

tower-diagnostics-20210918-1642.zip

@trurl I have started the disk rebuild and everything is going well so far! No other disk errors at all and the parity rebuild has 2 days 10 hours left. I will reach back out after that is complete if that's ok. I really need your help with optimizing my system. You have told me before about my appdata folder and my docker image. What do I need to do to resolve those issues? I also am wondering about upgrading Unraid from 6.8.3 to the latest version and want to make sure I do everything in the proper order. Thank you for helping me diagnose stupid drive issues again.

Thank you,

GTP

23 minutes ago, GTP said:

rebuild has 2 days 10 hours left.

That seems long for 8TB rebuild. I usually estimate 2-3 hours per TB so more like one day would be expected unless you have port multipliers. Is that typical for your system?

Though not strictly required, I usually prefer to avoid using the system while rebuilding, which would mean disabling docker as well as not writing anything to the array.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, trurl said:

That seems long for 8TB rebuild. I usually estimate 2-3 hours per TB so more like one day would be expected unless you have port multipliers. Is that typical for your system?

Though not strictly required, I usually prefer to avoid using the system while rebuilding, which would mean disabling docker as well as not writing anything to the array.

That is normal for my system an 8 tb rebuild has always taken about 2 and a half days and about 3 for a 12tb. I must have port multipliers. I have four drives plugged directly into the motherboard and the rest using pci SATA expansion cards. I absolutely will not use the system during the rebuild and I will disable docker now. Thank you for the advice. Have a great weekend!

Thank you,

GTP

@trurlI am only a few hours away from a successful rebuild. What steps do you recommend taking next? I know I have issues with my cache and docker images as well as my version, would you mind telling me where I should start? Thank you for all your help. I will send you a fresh diagnostic once the rebuild finishes.

Thank you,

GTP

5 hours ago, trurl said:
  1. Go to Settings - Docker and disable docker
  2. On that same page, delete docker.img
  3. Go to User Shares and set appdata and system shares to Use cache: prefer
  4. Go to Main - Array Operation and click Move
  5. Wait for Mover to complete
  6. Post new diagnostics

@trurl I have ran the steps posted above and attached the new diagnostics. What would you like me to do as the next step?

Thank you,

GTP

tower-diagnostics-20210920-2044.zip

Edited by GTP
1 hour ago, GTP said:

When I click on the terminal icon in the upper right hand corner, the terminal window pops up but I cannot type anything and there is no ">"?

Did you wait a bit with the terminal window open ?

It happens to me sometimes that the invite takes more time that it should and I have to wait a few seconds.

Just tried and I had to wait +10 sec for some reason. Other times it is instantaneous.

1 hour ago, GTP said:

When I click on the terminal icon in the upper right hand corner, the terminal window pops up but I cannot type anything

22 minutes ago, GTP said:

also seeing this weird error in the screenshot below

Both of these seem like browser problems. Make sure you only have one browser window open to your server, maybe clear browser cache. Do you have an adblocker or anything else that might interfere? Which browser are you using?

@trurl I am using Brave but I turned off all shields. I switched to chrome and I managed to get the terminal window to chow up but the error in the screenshot from before persists. I have also attached a screenshot of what was displayed when I ran the commands you requested. It looks like some leftover containers from the old docker image that didn't get deleted for some reason?

Thank you for your help,

GTP

docker old.png

13 minutes ago, GTP said:

leftover containers from the old docker image that didn't get deleted for some reason?

Your appdata isn't part of docker.img. That is one reason it is safe to delete docker.img since all of that appdata is stored elsewhere.

I assume the currently used appdata for letsencrypt is on cache since it has precedence. Are you even using letsencrypt? I know that docker was renamed to swag but of course the appdata for swag could be named letsencrypt.