Assistance with disk usage

benneh79

Hey all, first post here and I will openly admit I am not an expert on Unraid having set this up mostly from watching Spaceinvaderone videos but I had a query on my array storage behaviour, I have a 5 disk array, 3 x 10TB (1 of these is obviously the parity) and 2x4TB drives from a previous storage machine, im currently at 15TB of 28TB allowed but I am wondering why it has only filled up the 10TB disks to 75%, is this is setting somewhere (id set minimum free space to 100GB somewhere I believe):

image.png.fc3ac0cda107e5e5abacd6ffa5efd633.png

Is this normal behaviour?

Yes basically when you go into your shares and the files you frequest there are 3 ways to store those files. 

High Water, Fill up and Most free. You can read about each and pick the one that you like accordingly. 

If you don't want wear and tear with read only data like movies and shows keep them on one drive. That way only one drive will spin up when in use. 

If it's general files you can split them up no issue.

9 hours ago, benneh79 said:

Hey all, first post here and I will openly admit I am not an expert on Unraid having set this up mostly from watching Spaceinvaderone videos but I had a query on my array storage behaviour, I have a 5 disk array, 3 x 10TB (1 of these is obviously the parity) and 2x4TB drives from a previous storage machine, im currently at 15TB of 28TB allowed but I am wondering why it has only filled up the 10TB disks to 75%, is this is setting somewhere (id set minimum free space to 100GB somewhere I believe):

image.png.fc3ac0cda107e5e5abacd6ffa5efd633.png

Is this normal behaviour?

that looks correct for the High water allocation method.   You should read up on it and if you still do not understand what is happening come back here.