Disk to disk in unRaid

DoeBoye

When transferring data between disk or shares in unRaid through Windows (let's say transferring from disk1 to disk4), my understanding is that the data needs to go from disk1 -> PC -> disk4.

I have seen this in action with bandwidthMonitor (Up and Down stream are both saturated), but my question is where is the data going on the PC before it moves on to disk4? Is it being copied to the temp folder on c: first?; held in ram?; passing through a wormhole? :)

Thanks !

DB.

Its more than likely just pushing throu ram

You could use something like Midnight Commander so you don't have to transfer it via your pc. You would use mc at the command prompt to activate it.

Its a lot faster than using your pc.

It depends.  If the bandwidth is faster than the writes to the array, the speed might be about the same.  If you are copying to an unprotected disk, though, doing it on the server is much faster.

When you are copying through your PC, your PC is working extra hard to receive the data and then immediately send the data.  It should buffer it in RAM.  But it does not wait to receive the entire file, store it on your local machine, and then send the entire file to the destination.  It is overlapping the two operations.  Since the network is full-duplex, it can do both at the same time.  Therefore, although the network traffic is increased and unnecessary, the overall throughput would not suffer very much compared to sending a file from the server, over the network, to a PC.

Interesting! So nothing is actually saved to disk anywhere. Good to know!

Re: MC: I've actually tried it before and found it did not increase my speeds overly much (on a protected array). Using Teracopy on my pc, transfers tend to run between 20 and 25 MB/s, when going from disk to disk or share to share. When I tried transferring via MC, I was only seeing a few MB/s more. I'm in no rush for the transfers to complete as I usually do it overnight, and the convenience of TeraCopy and queuing outweighs the speed boost :).

Archived