[Support] Hetzner-DDNS

Overview: Support for the Hetzner-DDNS Docker Container

Docker: https://hub.docker.com/r/kutzilla/hetzner-ddns

GitHub: https://github.com/kutzilla/docker-hetzner-ddns

This Docker image will allow you to use the Hetzner DNS Service as a Dynamic DNS Provider (DDNS).

How does it work?

The Go script inside this Docker Image periodically checks the DNS record with the Hetzner DNS API. It also checks the current public IP of the network, the container is running on. If the DNS record does not match the current public IP, it will update the record. Therefore your DNS record updates dynamically to the public IP.

Edited by kutzilla

Hello @Alwerich,

besides the Domain you need to use the DNS Console of Hetzner for your domain. Configure your domain as a zone and then you can create a personal API-Token:

1002869495_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-21um08_37_53.thumb.png.d072fc52c7d978fe5ee24f662f134a0b.png

The API-Token will be used by the Docker Image to authenticate to your zone. Create an Token with a name such "Unraid" or what ever you like:

180395901_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-21um08_37_46.thumb.png.32e152791611da60fc3155293dd563a5.png

Provide the necessary attributes zone-name, API-Token and record type (A if you use a IPv4 or AAAA for IPv6) to the Docker Image. Afterwards the docker image will connect to Hetzner DNS and will update your @-Record (A or AAAA) to your public IP (respectively the IP the app is running on). Then you will find your IP here:

26934267_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-21um08_42_32.thumb.png.7f79bfc62f26dcd58f73f53890b8e15b.png

Afterwards you will be able to create DNS-Records (such as subdomains with CNAME-records) for your domain in the console. And they will point to your Unraid-System. 

I hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

thanks for the great App 🙂 

Works fine 👍

Now i have only one problem. The A Type @ have now me home ip adress, perfekt. 

Now i want to create a CNAME (Type) with name test and the value must be the @ , or not? 

But this is not acceptet. 

Can you post or confirm, what i must do for a value, that test.xxxxxx.com have my home ip address?

Thanks a lot. 

Hi, i have, i think, a solution...

in the Docker it self, i have add "add another variable" with name and key "RECORD_NAME". 

In this i have write in the value test

In the DNS Console from Hetzner, i have add a A Record with the name test.

and... voila.. great... 

I hope its right. The function is fine 🙂 

Thanks a lot. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 8:53 AM, kutzilla said:

Hello @Alwerich,

besides the Domain you need to use the DNS Console of Hetzner for your domain. Configure your domain as a zone and then you can create a personal API-Token:

1002869495_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-21um08_37_53.thumb.png.d072fc52c7d978fe5ee24f662f134a0b.png

The API-Token will be used by the Docker Image to authenticate to your zone. Create an Token with a name such "Unraid" or what ever you like:

180395901_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-21um08_37_46.thumb.png.32e152791611da60fc3155293dd563a5.png

Provide the necessary attributes zone-name, API-Token and record type (A if you use a IPv4 or AAAA for IPv6) to the Docker Image. Afterwards the docker image will connect to Hetzner DNS and will update your @-Record (A or AAAA) to your public IP (respectively the IP the app is running on). Then you will find your IP here:

26934267_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-21um08_42_32.thumb.png.7f79bfc62f26dcd58f73f53890b8e15b.png

Afterwards you will be able to create DNS-Records (such as subdomains with CNAME-records) for your domain in the console. And they will point to your Unraid-System. 

I hope this helps.

Thank you so far. Works great with the basic "Type A | Name @" record. But how do I update my "Type A | Name www.domainname.com" record?

Thanks for your support!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/30/2022 at 11:04 AM, High-Tower said:

Hi,

thanks for the great App 🙂 

Works fine 👍

Now i have only one problem. The A Type @ have now me home ip adress, perfekt. 

Now i want to create a CNAME (Type) with name test and the value must be the @ , or not? 

But this is not acceptet. 

Can you post or confirm, what i must do for a value, that test.xxxxxx.com have my home ip address?

Thanks a lot. 

Hi @High-Tower,

I know it's been a while, but I also encountered this problem and wanted to share my solution.

To add some sub Domains you just need to create a CNAME in the DNS and Point to the A Record.

image.png.f0cf1f245e71d565c9d29daac3e3247b.png

The red cell is updated by the Docker "hetzner-ddns" with the public IP every 5 Minutes.

On 10/10/2022 at 5:01 PM, Venari said:

Thank you so far. Works great with the basic "Type A | Name @" record. But how do I update my "Type A | Name www.domainname.com" record?

Thanks for your support!

Hi @Venari

As far as I have tested, only one A Record can be updated with this Docker. And this should be the main record -> Type A | Name @

But you can store www.example.com as CNAME and link to the A record. (See the picture above).

On 11/15/2022 at 10:39 AM, RiDDiX said:

HeyHo possible to add IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time?

Like it set up the Enviroment variable two times?

Hi @RiDDiX,

as I know with one Docker you can only Update A or AAAA Record. But you could just Configure one Docker for A (IPv4) and another Docker for AAAA (IPv6). That should be possible.