[Support] Bacula-Server

I just updated to the latest image and see that Bacula has been updated to 3.0.4 and Bacularis to 2.6.0. Thanks for this! So far it works for me.

The S3 driver would also be great to have at some point (I actually already bought an extra NAS for offsite backup and installed minIO for S3 - I erroneously thought that the S3 cloud stuff is part of the Bacula default feature scope.).

• 5 weeks later...

@murkus sorry for the delay in replying.
There are some known problems with compilation bacula v13.0.4 with S3 driver.
Bacula released version 15.x
Added Amazon Cloud driver (in replacement of libS3 cloud driver).
After the first tests, it doesn't need many changes, but I still want to test the update process to avoid possible problems.

Please be patient for a moment

Sounds awesome, thanks for the effort.

Having said that: sometimes Bacularis dies, but I don't want to restart the container while Bacula jobs are still running. What would be the best way to start Bacularis from within the container console?

Edited by murkus
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 10:26 PM, murkus said:

What would be the best way to start Bacularis from within the container console?

You can check if docker is showing unhealthy status and try this

kill $(pidof php-fpm7.4) $(pidof apache2)

Bacula15 will be available within 1 hour (without s3/amazon plugin yes)
There is a problem with s3 plugin and AWS plugin need some additional work.
postgresql13 or above is needed for Bacula15 postgresql edition.

8 hours ago, TimTaylor said:

Tried to install this on a custom br0 network with ip 192.168.0.251. Webinterface is not working, it gives error if i click something:

Error code: 100
Message: Problem with connection to remote host. cURL error 0: .

I'm speak french sorry ,

J'ai eut le même problème que vous avec l'image postregsql 15 ( il n'arrive pas à lire la database malgrès l'ajout de DB_PORT) . J'ai mis la version sqlite3 et j'ai eut l'erreur que vous citez . Je l'ai résolus , en allant dans ' panneaux api ' , utilisateurs de base puis j'ai ajouté un utilisateur admin . Je pense que l'ors de l'installation il ne prend pas les variables en compte

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, professeurx said:

J'ai eut le même problème que vous avec l'image postregsql 15 ( il n'arrive pas à lire la database malgrès l'ajout de DB_PORT) . J'ai mis la version sqlite3 et j'ai eut l'erreur que vous citez . Je l'ai résolus , en allant dans ' panneaux api ' , utilisateurs de base puis j'ai ajouté un utilisateur admin . Je pense que l'ors de l'installation il ne prend pas les variables en compte

Google translate

I had the same problem as you with the postregsql 15 image (it cannot read the database despite the addition of DB_PORT). I put the sqlite3 version and I got the error you mentioned. I solved it, by going to 'api panels', basic users then I added an admin user. I think that during installation it does not take the variables into account

@JonathanM i don't know if there is anybody who can help about bacula image.

@professeurx did You update from previous version or this was new installation?
Which postgresql server version did You use?

• Thanks 1
On 20/04/2024 at 00:03, VRx said:

Google traduit

JonathanMJe ne sais pas s'il y a quelqu'un qui peut aider à l'image de bacule.

ProfesseurxAvez-vous mis à jour à partir de la version précédente ou c'était la nouvelle installation ?
Quelle version de serveur postgresql avez-vous utilisé ?

I installed and not updated the aves postgresql 15 image. For postgresql I have version 15 but each time I launch bacula I get a message that my container is not responding even though I have entered my identifiers correctly. I think that the conv file does not modify what we put before installing it on unraid since with sqlite3 I had to force the identifiers. It was admin - difficult passwd

Wanted to report; installed sqlite version 15 as a clean install. Deployment for remote clients doesn't work and at a minimum it appears the image needs at least SSH and PGP and all their dependencies installed into the Docker container before it'll even begin the process.

Once I get it all installed I'm getting the same problem as @professeurx with not being able to connect and getting a CURL error when installing the client after getting the API deployed.

I noted that when I browsed to the API instance on the target machine it prompted for a username and password, but none of the username or password combinations that were entered in the OS Profiles appears to work. I suspect something else is broken there but not sure what?

Edited by Sinister Crayon
6 hours ago, professeurx said:

I think that the conv file does not modify what we put before installing it on unraid

I don't know what are You talking about. What You put before installing bacula?
If You choose postgresql version, You need only to create database user and database in postgresql container/server, If You choose sqlite3 You do not need to do anything exept run bacula container.

You must remember that if you tried to install the postgresql version and then want to install the sqlite version, I recommend clearing the paths on the unraid disk where the configuration files are installed.
The container installed from scratch updates all passwords - user data, this was tested before releasing a new version of the image.

47 minutes ago, Sinister Crayon said:

Deployment for remote clients doesn't work

If you want to connect the client to bacula, all you need to do is install the bacula client on the machine that is to be the client, usually called bacula-fd, and then add a new client in the WebUI Bacula-Server.

53 minutes ago, Sinister Crayon said:

when installing the client after getting the API deployed.

Where do You install client, what are You talking about? What API deploying?
What did You tried to do?

55 minutes ago, Sinister Crayon said:

I noted that when I browsed to the API instance on the target machine

You do not need to install any API on target machine. You need only bacula-fd.
Everything You could configure from Bacule-Server WebUI panel.
The exception is the backup of all types of databases, which requires writing a script on the client machine that will dump the database and Bacula will save the dump. The second option is to create remote access to the database and perform the dump from the Bacula server.

I figured out my deployment problem... I am using the API deployment from the left hand side (bottom option) that puts a Bacularis API setup on the system so you can install, fix and uninstall components from the GUI. My problem turned out to be something in an NGINX configuration that was already installed on that machine... it's still broken and not sure why. Tried another machine and it worked OK.

My feedback about the image still stands... I went into the console and did "apt update; apt install -y ssh; apt install -y pgp" and that allowed me to use the deployment API successfully.

19 hours ago, VRx said:

Je ne sais pas de quoi tu parles. Ce que vous avez mis avant d'installer du bacula ?
Si vous choisissez la version postgresql, vous n'avez qu'à créer un utilisateur de la base de données et une base de données dans le conteneur/serveur postgresql, Si vous choisissez sqlite3 Vous n'avez pas besoin de faire quoi que ce soit d'exept run bacula container.

Vous devez vous rappeler que si vous essayez d'installer la version postgresql et que vous voulez ensuite installer la version sqlite, je recommande d'effacer les chemins sur le disque unraid où les fichiers de configuration sont installés.
Le conteneur installé à partir de zéro met à jour tous les mots de passe - données utilisateur, ce qui a été testé avant de publier une nouvelle version de l'image.

Si vous voulez connecter le client au bacula, tout ce que vous avez à faire est d'installer le client bacula sur la machine qui doit être le client, généralement appelé bacula-fd, et ensuite ajouter un nouveau client dans le serveur WebUI Bacula.

Où installez-vous le client, de quoi parles-tu ? Quel déploiement d'API ?
Qu'as-tu essayé de faire ?

Vous n'avez pas besoin d'installer d'API sur la machine cible. Tu n'as besoin que de bacula-fd.
Tout ce que vous pouviez configurer à partir du panneau WebUI de Bacule-Server.
L'exception est la sauvegarde de tous les types de bases de données, qui nécessite l'écriture d'un script sur la machine cliente qui va déverser la base de données et Bacula enregistrera la décharge. La deuxième option consiste à créer un accès à distance à la base de données et à effectuer le vidage à partir du serveur Bacula.

I installed bacula with postegresql except that I don't know why but it can't find the host of the IP database (both are on the same networks) so after that I deleted everything and installed with sqlite3. Installation that works but did not take into account the following variables :

-WEB_User
-WEB_Password

After launching the container I access the dashboard with a 101-curl error. I check the internal conf files and it turns out that the user was admin and the password was difficult. So the variables are not taken into account as I mentioned above.

Edited by professeurx
  • Thanks 1
On 4/22/2024 at 11:50 PM, Sinister Crayon said:

My feedback about the image still stands... I went into the console and did "apt update; apt install -y ssh; apt install -y pgp" and that allowed me to use the deployment API successfully.

You are doing something that containerization is not intended for.
If you need to extend the image with additional functionalities, use the image as a source, install packages, configure and thus use a new image, or use the image creation code and modify it to suit your needs, the image code is published by me on github.
Additionally, by modifying the API settings, you may corrupt your copy of the image and require help later (when creating the image, I cannot predict what you will modify, and after updating the image, your settings may be overwritten).

14 hours ago, professeurx said:

I installed bacula with postegresql except that I don't know why but it can't find the host of the IP database (both are on the same networks)

Did you provide the ip or hostname by entering DB_Host in the Bacula-Server parameters?

15 hours ago, professeurx said:

After launching the container I access the dashboard with a 101-curl error.

Found my mistake, it will be resolved at the next image update.
Thanks for the feedback

4 hours ago, VRx said:

Did you provide the ip or hostname by entering DB_Host in the Bacula-Server parameters?

Just wanted to provide some more feedback. Decided to start from scratch with Postgres as my database instead of SQLite. Cleaned up the old config and deployed the 15 image with Postgres. Can confirm I am having the same issue as @professeurx that despite defining DB_Host, DB_User and DB_Password it cannot find the Postgres database. I can connect fine from other remote systems. Tried adding DB_Port and the problem persists; says

==> Could not connect to database. Please check DB Settings: Host, User, Password, Port. exiting

Edit to add: Switched to the 13 image with Postgresql and it seems to work OK.

5 hours ago, VRx said:

Avez-vous fourni le ip ou le nom d'hôte en entrant DB-Host dans les paramètres de Bacula-Server?

I tried via the database host's IP and its local DNS

5 hours ago, VRx said:

J'ai trouvé mon erreur, elle sera résolue à la prochaine mise à jour de l'image.
Merci pour le retour d'information

What is this error? because I would only like to work with postgresql as a database

5 hours ago, VRx said:

You are doing something that containerization is not intended for.
If you need to extend the image with additional functionalities, use the image as a source, install packages, configure and thus use a new image, or use the image creation code and modify it to suit your needs, the image code is published by me on github.
Additionally, by modifying the API settings, you may corrupt your copy of the image and require help later (when creating the image, I cannot predict what you will modify, and after updating the image, your settings may be overwritten).

I'm fully aware of the usage of containerization. I am just reporting some minor issues and a fix for them.

In your images the "Deployment" feature of recent versions of Bacularis doesn't work. If you add "expect", "pgp" and "ssh" to your images you'll find that it works consistently. This should be a pretty minor change but yes I'm happy to fork your code and do my own images. I'm just reporting this so that if other people report the same problems you'll know where to fix them. I just hit the same problem again with the feature in the Bacula 13 image with Postgres and the same fix resolved it. While the "Deployment" feature is not a required thing for running Bacula, it IS a feature in the Bacularis code that is called out in the documentation as to how to deploy and maintain clients more easily. As a result, anyone following the stock documentation for Bacularis who doesn't have experience with Bacula in general will find your image broken as a result.

https://bacularis.app/doc/deployment/basic.html

I'm just trying to provide useful feedback that I hope will be helpful in future versions and development. I know you're just one person which is why I'm trying to provide you a solution to the problem that I found rather than just demanding that it be fixed.

Hope this all helps :)

@Sinister Crayon@professeurx
did You create database and database user before You installed Bacula-Server?
I've checked on my lab and everything working ok. I've checked postgresql13 postgresql14 and postgresql15 (clean install)

9 hours ago, professeurx said:

What is this error? because I would only like to work with postgresql as a database

That was about curl-101 error with sqlite3 version, but could also happend in postgresql version.

9 hours ago, Sinister Crayon said:

In your images the "Deployment" feature of recent versions of Bacularis doesn't work.

Not everything should work in the contenerized version.
If you are aware of containerization, you probably know that its purpose is not to run multiple applications within one container and it should not be done.
This is necessary here because Unraid out of the box does not support docker-compose. For the same reason, I did not include the Postgres database server in the image like most developers, and for a similar reason it has not been possible to use the MySQL database for a long time.
Bacula is a large harvester and should not be run in a container, if it were fully supported Bacula developers would have released images for this purpose long ago.
This solution was created for my own needs of backing up data from Unraid virtual machines and several raspberrypi. It was also an alpha project before implementing Bacula Web and later Bacularis in my production environment at work, moreover, it was also my professional development project, for my own satisfaction, and since I put some work into it I felt like sharing it, as you can see, I shared the code on github to which I shared a link, if you want to develop it, please go ahead.
For myself and the needs of my Unraid Server, I would run bacula in Docker without UI, because I don't need it, it introduces unnecessary chaos in the configuration files.
Of course, you can share ssh, move all configuration files outside the container, only then 90% of people can mess up more and expect help. Just like 90% of users will use 10% of this application's capabilities.
What you may want to achieve with this image should be achieved by installing Bacula Server at least in a virtual machine, because then people are surprised that a some process has crashed.