All SSD array?

Hi all, I'm currently running a 36tb Unraid array on spinning platters.  I'm considering making the switch to all SSD's via Crucial MX500 4tb drives (I can get a killer deal on these).  Any issue running all SSD's?  How is the life expectancy?  I've seen some past posts about these particular drives not playing very nice and was wondering if that is still an issue?  

I appreciate the feedback!

I ran Crucial MX500's as cache for about 3 months.  They constantly generated errors. After some research, I replaced them.  Won't use that model ever again.  Likely won't ever use Crucial SSD again, outside of windows (which corrects the errors automatically).

Life expectancy will probably be less than half of a traditional HD.

Edited by whipdancer

I have a pool with seven MX500 running for years without problems

And I ran the notorious Seagate drives for years without issue.  Doesn't mean there wasn't a problem, just that my anecdotal experience with didn't encounter the problem.

AFAIK, this is only an issue with Crucial.  It is a bug in their firmware that they have not been able to fix.  There are too many alternatives that don't have this issue for me to give Crucial my money.

Edited by whipdancer
clarity
11 hours ago, JorgeB said:

There's a firmware problem with false positives about pending sectors, it has nothing to do with reliabilty.

So then there shouldn't really be an issue with running say 8 or 10 of the 4tb MX500 drives as long as I implement a proper TRIM protocol and ignore the false positives?

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Ravarin said:

For XFS that is an issue (over the long term).

Possibly not, depending on the firmware of the drives in question.

Personally I'd recommend just leaving it alone, keeping in mind that an occasional mass migration to empty specific drives in turn if you feel the need.

Do you anticipate a high churn rate for the data with lots of changes and deletions?