Tried to replace and rebuild a failed disk, errors in a second disk began... now fearful of losing everything

egeis

So the format was set on "auto" so there was no "Check Filesystem" dialog. I changed from "auto" to "xfs". The check button appeared with a "-n" flag. I ran that process... there is a LOT of output. It finished with statements about "No modify flag set, skipping filesystem flush and exiting".  

I can't find anything in the manual/storage management page that makes sense except adding the flag "-L". But I'm not sure I'm looking to do a "filesystem flush"...

Appreciative of any guidance. 

17 minutes ago, trurl said:

Formatting it outside the array before using it to rebuild would have been pointless since that empty filesystem would be completely overwritten by rebuild.

When I initially stated my problem, I mentioned that I attempted the first data rebuild on this disk for disk2. Then disk1 was showing failures during that rebuild; It was only done with 60GB (2.6%) 12 hours later. That's when I asked for help. The filesystem probably wasn't empty. I don't think a format would've been pointless.

16 minutes ago, egeis said:

The filesystem probably wasn't empty. I don't think a format would've been pointless.

Rebuild completely overwrites every bit of the disk with the results of the parity calculation. Doesn't matter at all what was already on the disk. Doesn't matter if there was an empty filesystem, a filesystem with a lot of files, or no filesystem at all. Format before rebuild is pointless.

19 minutes ago, egeis said:

"-n" flag. I ran that process... there is a LOT of output. It finished with statements about "No modify flag set, skipping filesystem flush and exiting".  

-n is the "No modify flag". You have to run it without that or it won't actually fix anything.

Did you capture the output?

18 hours ago, egeis said:

follow the rebuild by cloning the parity drive to a new and larger disk, then move the parity disk in to replace the suspicious disk2. 

12 hours ago, trurl said:

There is a special procedure for this called parity swap. I don't know if that is what you had in mind.

Don't try to do this any other way.

In the process of trying to rebuild parity using a bigger drive..., it disabled the new parity disk about an hour in. This has now happened 2 times. I changed the connection and it happened again (third time). I think this is a mobo - controller problem. I'm attaching diagnostics in case anyone is interested... but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna buy a new motherboard. The motherboard I built this with probably wasn't a good choice for Unraid (Asus - X99 TaiChi). I didn't really understand too much about the long-term consequences when I went down this road initially. It's been running since 2017, so I guess it gave me a good 4 years... but these disk problems definitely aren't worth it.

unraidtower-diagnostics-20211123-1548.zip

Nov 23 09:49:15 UnRaidTower kernel: ata2.00: ATA-10: WDC WD40EFAX-68JH4N1,      WD-WX22D619H7RT, 83.00A83, max UDMA/133
Nov 23 09:50:06 UnRaidTower kernel: md: import disk0: (sdb) WDC_WD40EFAX-68JH4N1_WD-WX22D619H7RT size: 3907018532 
Nov 23 09:50:06 UnRaidTower kernel: md: import_slot: 0 replaced
Nov 23 10:59:33 UnRaidTower kernel: ata2: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
Nov 23 10:59:33 UnRaidTower kernel: ata2.00: link offline, clearing class 1 to NONE
Nov 23 10:59:34 UnRaidTower kernel: ata2: hard resetting link
Nov 23 10:59:39 UnRaidTower kernel: md: disk0 write error, sector=1251653984

I still suspect a connection problem, maybe SATA, maybe power or splitter.

• 2 weeks later...