array health report [FAIL] - standby (disk has read errors) [DISK DSBL]

anm8r69

I received this email 5 days ago and have not rebooted yet and I have attached diagnostics. The drive is a (new) WD Red and only been in use about a year.

Event: Unraid Disk 1 error
Subject: Alert [NYX] - Disk 1 in error state (disk dsbl)
Description: ST6000VN0033-2EE110_ZAD81TBL (sdj)
Importance: alert

I've read several threads related to disabled disks but some of the links provided to additional documentation have moved. I see the docs are being updated; good to see!

I also noticed a bunch of errors in the system log and would like to know what these are...

Nov 20 09:50:09 Nyx nginx: 2021/11/20 09:50:09 [error] 6301#6301: *2233713 limiting requests, excess: 20.082 by zone "authlimit", client: 192.168.1.50, server: , request: "PROPFIND /login HTTP/1.1", host: "nyx"

Thank you in advance for any help provided!

nyx-diagnostics-20211125-0724.zip

On 11/29/2021 at 3:42 AM, JorgeB said:

Disk looks OK, most likely a power/connection problem, replace cables to rule those out and rebuild on top.

So after adding the 2nd parity drive and waiting 20+ hrs on the parity check the drive is still showing disabled. Also realized the original spec on the drive was the wrong one. This is a Seagate IronWolf ST6000VN0033 6TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6 NAS drive, not the WD Red originally stated. This drive was purchased 03/19/2019.

I thought it was doing a rebuild during the parity check. No? What's next? How do I rebuild the array?

Thanks in advance.

On 11/26/2021 at 9:23 PM, trurl said:

Since you only have single parity, you have been running your server without parity protection ever since.

9 hours ago, anm8r69 said:

Just added parity 2 now. 🙂

I wasn't necessarily recommending you add another parity drive, just telling you that you should take care of problems as soon as possible.

Do you have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected?

On 12/4/2021 at 7:29 AM, trurl said:

I wasn't necessarily recommending you add another parity drive, just telling you that you should take care of problems as soon as possible.

Do you have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected?

I did understand the risk and had contemplated added this for a while. Your comment just gave me the motivation to get it done! ;-)

I am using Duplicati to backup critical shares to Backblaze but not everything. Just another level of protection with 2 parity drives.

I do have daily email notifications setup which is super helpful and alerted me to the problem. Thanks for your time to help!

Edited by anm8r69