Recommendations for MB w/o IPMI, i3/i5 support for Norco 4224?

I would like to build a server in a Norco 4224 but was wondering if there were any other more economical alternatives that support an i3/i5.  IPMI on the X8SIL-F seems like it makes up a significant portion of the cost, but I'm not interested in that feature.  Any suggestions for a reliable MB for this build would be appreciated!

Pretty much any board will fit in that case, seeing as you have no space restrictions.

If you're looking for economy though, why not go AM3? (Unless you already have the processor). The boards tend to be cheaper, and the CPUs are much cheaper. You can get a Sempron 140 for $35. The Sempron is more than enough for unRaid, but if you need more processing power because the server will be for multiple purpose, you can get a x2, x3, x4 for still less then the i3...

Hi DoeBoye.  I already have a processor and was perhaps looking into getting a Sandy Bridge if that proves to work with Unraid.  Since the 4224 supports so many drives, I wasn't sure that I could throw in any board.  I guess I could go look at boards with similar specs, but thought maybe somebody might have had success with something else.

Well, by "any board will fit", I meant that physically you are not restricted. As far as support for 24 drives, you'll definitely have to select a board that has 2 4x or higher PCI-e slots. so you can support 2 8-port SATA controllers (Something like the Supermicros MV8).

I would also try to pick a board that has 6 on-board SATA ports, if possible, as that brings your total up to 22. The last 2 drives (assuming unRaid ever supports more then 22 drives), can be run using a 1x 2-port card that can be had for $8 off ebay (Check deals forum), or $15 from monoprice.com.

You might want to check out some of Raj's "recommended builds", as he has put together a number of builds with parts that work well together.

If you can't find any board in the recommended builds in your neck of the woods, you might want to go to NewEgg and use their fantastic advanced search option to try and identify a suitable board. You can select the criteria required (multiple PCIe slots, 6 sata ports, i3 support etc. etc...), and then from the list it outputs, see if you can get any of those boards where you live. NOTE: Before buying, I would check to see if anyone has had success with it (Or at the very least, the same chipset)....

What do you plan on using this system for?

I have checked out Raj's builds... in fact, that's what I'm using as a guide (along with posts in the UCD forum) to build this system  :).  I have pretty much all the parts nailed down with the exception of the motherboard and rear 80 mm fans (since I've read that they aren't just a straight swap). 

I will search NewEgg myself as well, but was hoping I didn't have to be a guinea pig.  I'm not looking for the cheapest board, but it just seemed like the IPMI was one of the most significant costs in the recommended Intel build.

The server will be used primarily to stream media.  I haven't looked too much into add ons and such yet, but having more processing power for later would be nice.

In that case, it doesn't look like IPMI is at too much of a premium.  Question still remains though if it's useful if one has ready access to the rack with a monitor and keyboard for service if needed?

No, it is not as useful if you have access to a monitor and keyboard in a rack.  It is mostly for convenience if the server is in a place that can not have a monitor and keyboard hooked up.

Thanks for the heads up.  I wonder why Amazon US doesn't stock it... would be a good to be able to use Prime!  I was about to suck it up and buy the Supermicro board...

Here's some good timing. NodNarb012 just posted an i3 board that seems to behave well with unraid and is reasonable priced. Newegg doesn't seem to want to let you buy it without a combo, but Amazon.ca is selling it for less, with free shipping... Here's the google shopping results for the US...

DoeBoye found some 80 mm fans that work with the rear slots in the Norco 4224!  Here's the thread.

Thanks for the thread.  Yah, he PMed me about the fans... certainly easier to mod than a full box framed fan.

BTW, thank you for your helpful guides on getting Unraid setup and on the builds!  ;D

FYI: Jomp in the other thread mentioned that his 80mm Noctua fans fit without modification.... They are excellent fans, but significantly pricier then these ones...

Yeah, they fit perfectly. I'm on my phone, so you'll have to search my past posts for the picture.