Disabled disk , but errors on a different disk?

XceRpt

So I recently added a wd purple to unassigned devices to run with some cctv recently purchased . It added fine.

Shortly after I started getting messages that disk 4 (in array) was disabled and emulated. And also noticed my wd purple is now under historical devices not unassigned.

I thought I could stop array, unassign disk 4, start array, stop array re assign and start and let it rebuild. That didnt seem to work for me. i I now not only get that disk 4 is disabled but disk 5 is throwing tonsss and i mean tons of errors.  I cannot access the log via webui. I had a syslog setup in one of my shares and i dont even see it anymore.  Kinda lost on where to start. i've attached what i could think of . let me know if i can provide more. Thanks.

arrayforum.jpg

forum2.jpg

forumlogging.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20211215-1925.zip tower-smart-20211215-1919.zip

Edited by XceRpt

SMART attributes for disks 4, 5 look OK. Not clear this is a connection problem though. Have you done memtest recently?

Syslog ran out of space due to all the I/O errors logged on disk5. Don't see SMART for any unassigned disk, is it connected?

Good news is all disks mountable, including emulated disk4.

Might as well cancel rebuild for now. Then disable spindown on disks 4, 5 and run an extended self test on each.

• XceRpt changed the title to Disabled disk , but errors on a different disk?
On 12/15/2021 at 9:08 PM, trurl said:

SMART attributes for disks 4, 5 look OK. Not clear this is a connection problem though. Have you done memtest recently?

Syslog ran out of space due to all the I/O errors logged on disk5. Don't see SMART for any unassigned disk, is it connected?

Good news is all disks mountable, including emulated disk4.

Might as well cancel rebuild for now. Then disable spindown on disks 4, 5 and run an extended self test on each.

May be time to replace disk 4. I've rebuilt it twice and after each one it will last anywhere from a few days to a week then disables/ is emulated. Drive is only 3 months old but "shucked" I may be able to slip it back in case and return or just buy another if i have to. In the meantime running the extended smart test on drive 4 now

image.png.959739841b52ed30a96a2b75d8175a6c.png