Restoring unraid from a faulty usb ?

Cliff

After running unraid for over a year without problems my server suddenly got really unstable where it rebooted randomly. At first it was rebooting a few times a week but in the end it it rebooted/crashed after a few minutes.

I first thought that it was my Windows VM that caused this as it looked like it was the gpu in the VM that was the problem.

But after alot of troubleshooting where I disabled the VM's, removed the gpu and checked the ram with memtest and not beeing able to find any problems I booted up Windows directly without unraid. I then ran cpu/gpu stresstests for several hours without problem and I have not been having any reboots at all when running windows directly.

I have now ordered some new usb-sticks as it clearly is some problem with unraid that is causing the instability. But how do I restore my unraid server with dockers/settings in the best way without risking corrupting everything again ? Do I use the Unraid USB creator with the new usb and then copy some settings over from the old usb ? or how do I get everything up and running again ? Or can it be some unraid settings that is stored on any of the hdds that caused this ?

Do you have a flash backup? config folder from flash (or from flash backup) is all you need to get going again with your configuration on a new install.

Not clear that flash or its contents are your problem though. Unraid doesn't run from the flash drive. The Unraid OS is unpacked fresh from archives on flash into RAM at each boot, and the Unraid OS actually runs completely in RAM. Think of it as firmware. Settings from your configuration (config folder on flash) are applied at boot, and any changes to your configuration are written back to that config folder. Unraid stores no settings anywhere else.

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

Yes, but the strange thing is that as I understand the logs filling up is from the windows 11 vm spamming that the gpu is not avalible. If I reboot the logs is at 1% again. But I also tried disabeling the vm but the system still crashes. All the problems started when upgrading to 6.10 but even after reverting to stable 6.9.2 I still have the same problem now. could something have got corrupted after the upgrade ? I remember reading something about deleting some vm image template so that unraid downloads a new one. 

Is there any way to get the contents from the /mnt/user/appdata/ from the usb ? My biggest problem if I need to restart from scratch is getting all the configurations from all dockers like home assistant and similar back. Also will Unraid still see my data on my hdds so that I just mount them as usual ?