Countless Errors on several new drive's. Parity drive keeps getting disabled and now drive's in the array are getting disabled.

So to start here is my server and also I attached the diagnostics for the drives. Now I had purchased several 10tb wd red drives and initially had no issues with the drives. I did a preclear on each one and then distributed some of my data over the drives using "unBALANCE". Again everything was normal for the first week but then my second parity went down. Initially thought it was odd but removed it off the array. Ran a preclear to see if it was still good and then put the parity back up. I had dealt with this three times now and each time the parity drive would die every 3 days or so. I then came to terms that maybe this drive is just dying so I purchased another drive to replace it.

Then one of my wd red drives went down with the second parity drive. I then went about how I usually add the drives back onto the array but this resulted in about 3tb's of data being lost. Essentially everything I moved onto the wd red drive. Thankfully though I had another drive with all the data saved lying around for situations like this and got all the data back.

Thing is though as I began moving data back onto the drives I noticed ALOT of errors begin appearing on all the wd red drives. I attached a screenshot of it but basically showed 344 million errors on two of the drives. Seeing all these errors made me to think that it may not be the drives so I began looking around and many began to say how cheap SATA cards can cause these types of things to happen. I have this in my server

Sooo, got me thinking I need to replace the sata card with an HBA card. I have no idea what they are but understand they are alot better then the sata cards and have considered getting an 8 port one. Moreover just trying to figure out whats up with the sudden problems ive been having to deal with and if getting an hba card would fix it.

Screenshot_20211223_222747.png

WDC_WD101EFBX-68B0AN0_VCJBBRRP-20211223-2223 disk4 (sde).txt WDC_WD101EFBX-68B0AN0_VCJAHAHP-20211223-2223 disk3 (sdb).txt ST10000VN0004-1ZD101_ZA2BN4ZH-20211223-2223 disk1 (sdg).txt SHGP31-1000GM-2_AJ0BN90921170C35J-20211223-2223 cache (nvme0).txt WDC_WD101EFBX-68B0AN0_VCJB7V8P-20211223-2223 disk2 (sdc).txt ST10000NE0008-2JM101_ZPW0N3TK-20211223-2223 parity (sdf).txt ST10000NE0008-2JM101_ZPW0K8YX-20211223-2223 parity2 (sdd) - DISK_DSBL.txt SanDisk_Cruzer_Glide_4C530001240112105053-0-0-20211223-2223 flash (sda).txt

unluckyserver-diagnostics-20211223-2223.zip

Edited by UnluckyTech
Uploaded Diagnostics
9 hours ago, UnluckyTech said:

Sooo, got me thinking I need to replace the sata card with an HBA card. I have no idea what they are but understand they are alot better then the sata cards and have considered getting an 8 port one.

A HBA is simply a non-RAID SATA card :)  In principle the card you have would be classed as a HBA, but the problem with that one is that it uses a Marvel chipset and cards with such chipsets tend to not be reliable on systems such as Unraid that are Linux based and are using the newer kernel versions.

• Like 1

Since you shared a link to the controller that you are using and that controller came with locking SATA cables and you are using WD drives, it would be good for you to know about this:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15954

Not saying that this is your issue but it is one to consider.   (When you pull on a SATA connection, you should be able to feel resistance until the connector separates from the socket.  IF no resistance, there is a problem!)