Can't add new disk to array

jj_uk

I've just finished pre-clearing a disk using the Binhex preclear docker. All successful. The new drive is 'sdh'.

I stopped the array, and selected the new disk from the drop-down menu in the MAIN tab - 'Array Devices'. The page refreshed after selection, but the drop-down set itself back to 'unassigned', and now the disk doesn't appear in the drop-list.  My array is still 3 drives + cache. It should be 4 drives + cache with the new disk added.

I can see the disk in "unassigned devices".  How can I add the new disk to the array?

image.png.698b98fdde2f5089cac4d31437d7a63e.png

image.png.4da897b623043c6424167bbe6ab6bd83.png

Unraid finished clearing my disk overnight. I deleted the drive's 'Historic Devices' entry in the Main tab GUI, then formatted the disk as Unraid was reporting it can't be added because it was not formatted.

Following the format, which only took a few seconds(?), the disk is showing as "unmountable: volume not encrypted".

The disk settings are showing as "encrypted". So, again, i'm stuck.  What do I need to do to add this new disk? 

Attached is the log file.

image.png.1e6022b2aeba81550d9e8b7ec5c73af4.png

image.thumb.png.053079275fe28e6829f60f9d3ca43a88.png

syslog-127.0.0.1.log

Edited by jj_uk
3 hours ago, jj_uk said:

I thought that disks needed to be roughly balanced usage-wise? e.g. all about the same amount of data on each? no?  I've always done that. uhh..

Depends on your use case, and how your files are currently distributed, and how you want them to be distributed in the future. Unraid doesn't care, and as long as you have proper minimum free space limits set, you'll never see a meaningful difference using the shares.

It's purely an artificial need to organize things, but the benefits for most users lie on the side of letting drives fill up as they add them. That way the new files are all on a single drive, as most folks tend to use new files heavily then let them alone for archival reasons.

However, if you are like some people, me included, that micro manage which files go on which physical disks, then sometimes you need to move files from disk to disk to free up space for new files that "belong" on a specific disk.

That's why I asked the question, because unless you know a specific reason to move files, you probably don't really need to.

Every file operation incurs risk from user error or other things, so the less you muck around, the safer your data is, generally speaking.