Thousands of checksum error on BTRFS drive. Why?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

PREAMBLE

So, without actually experiencing any issues, I went to the syslog and saw many entries like the following:

Dec 29 18:00:21 UnBlue kernel: BTRFS error (device md1): bdev /dev/md1 errs: wr 0, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 42601, gen 0

All of those point to the same device: md1.

root@UnBlue:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs           32G  1.6G   30G   5% /
devtmpfs         32G     0   32G   0% /dev
tmpfs            32G     0   32G   0% /dev/shm
cgroup_root     8.0M     0  8.0M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           128M  2.7M  126M   3% /var/log
/dev/sda1        15G  947M   14G   7% /boot
overlay          32G  1.6G   30G   5% /lib/modules
overlay          32G  1.6G   30G   5% /lib/firmware
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/disks
tmpfs           1.0M     0  1.0M   0% /mnt/remotes
/dev/md1        7.3T  5.9T  1.5T  80% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md2        7.3T  1.4T  6.0T  18% /mnt/disk2
/dev/md3        1.9T  372M  1.9T   1% /mnt/disk3
/dev/nvme0n1p1  932G  580G  351G  63% /mnt/cache
shfs             17T  7.2T  9.3T  44% /mnt/user0
shfs             17T  7.2T  9.3T  44% /mnt/user
/dev/loop2       24G  4.7G   20G  20% /var/lib/docker
/dev/loop3      1.0G  5.2M  904M   1% /etc/libvirt

So I go and check the disk1 drive. SMART test shows no errors. scrub does find checksum errors.

UUID:             328d4811-6fe2-4785-a6c3-1d05a7cf6133
Scrub started:    Wed Dec 29 12:42:49 2021
Duration:         7:59:57
Total to scrub:   5.80TiB
Rate:             211.30MiB/s
Error summary:    csum=7411
  Corrected:      0
  Uncorrectable:  0
  Unverified:     0

That sounds like a lot of errors. I can see the files with those errors in the syslog now. They are quite a lot too, spread among different folders: Plex videos, some Steam games, 2 of my VM disks... That's probably irrelevant though.

I have no idea if those files are fine and the error is actually on the checksum so I don't intend to fix them with scrub. And I can delete all the problematic files. It will take some time to do it safely and make sure I don't lose anything from the VMs.

WHAT THIS POST IS ACTUALLY ABOUT

This post is about figuring out what caused those errors. What can I do about it?

Some extra information: All of the drives that form the array (parity disk included) are new (months old) to the system. Up until recently I had only a parity and another disk. But they started to report some "Reallocated sector count" that eventually turned into a few "Offline uncorrectable", so I replaced them and saw the opportunity to expand the array. Is it possible I've carried some issue from the past drives into these?

Edited by BlueSialia
Typo
  • BlueSialia changed the title to Thousands of checksum error on BTRFS drive. Why?
  • Solution
15 hours ago, BlueSialia said:
corrupt 42601

These mean data corruption is being detected, most often due to RAM issues, in your case and since you're running a Ryzen CPU with above max spec RAM speeds that would be the main suspect, could also just be bad RAM or other hardware issue.

After the problem is fixed a scrub will list the corrupt the corrupt files in the syslog, those need to be deleted/replaced from backups.

Hmmm, didn't know my CPU wasn't meant to have 3200 MT/s RAM when using 4 sticks. It's true the default in the BIOS was lower. In order to increase it I used a XMP profile (is that the name of it?) the BIOS itself suggested to me, so I thought it was safe.

Assuming that's the cause and the RAM modules themselves and other hardware is healthy, should I then tune it back to 2667 MT/s to avoid further corruption? Or is there some other recommended procedure that will allow me to keep it at 3200 MT/s?

Edited by BlueSialia

I've never been into overclocking so I have no idea how risky each thing is. I knew XMP was an overclock, but since it was a suggestion from the system itself and I didn't know about the limit for Ryzen CPUs I guess I didn't worry at all.

Anyway, thank you for the help. I hope I don't see further corruption after undoing the overclock.