Disk disabled after I rebooted the server mid-parity check (on accident)

Happy New Year everyone! My new year started with a minor issue on the server. I have one disk showing up as disabled/error after I had to reboot the server mid-parity check, I forgot parity check was running. Currently the server is performing a Read-Check after the unclean shutdown was detected.

I only have a single disk parity enabled, was planning to upgrade to dual soon, I have two drives pre-cleared and ready for an emergency such as this, so I can swap the failed drive and rebuild. One drive is the same size as my current parity and the other one is smaller, however I had a few questions before I start that process. 

1. Wanted to make sure that the failed drive is actually a goner and need to be thrown away or if that can still be cleared and added back to the array. Diagnostics posted below - can someone please take a look and let me know what you think about Disk 12 (sdv)?
  2. Should the second parity drive  be the same size as the current one? Also is adding a second parity drive as simple as assigning the pre-cleared drive to the second parity slot on the array and restart.
  3. Order of operations - planning to first rebuild the new disk to replace the failed one, once that is finished run a parity check with the new disk assignment and then upgrade to dual parity?

All help appreciated as always.

tower-diagnostics-20220101-1441.zip

34 minutes ago, abhi.ko said:

or if that can still be cleared and added back to the array.

Just set disk 12 back to being it.  No need to clear it again.

35 minutes ago, abhi.ko said:

Should the second parity drive  be the same size as the current one? Also is adding a second parity drive as simple as assigning the pre-cleared drive to the second parity slot on the array and restart.

It needs to be as large or larger than the largest data drive.  And yes

36 minutes ago, abhi.ko said:

Order of operations - planning to first rebuild the new disk to replace the failed one, once that is finished run a parity check with the new disk assignment and then upgrade to dual parity?

Absolutely.  You're running in a degraded state right now and you want to clear that up first.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Squid said:

Just set disk 12 back to being it.  No need to clear it again.

Thank you sir!

When you say 'being it' you mean just reassign the disk to the same slot or added to another empty slot after the new disk is rebuild? Does the disk look okay? Also should I wait for the Read-Check to finish or just cancel it and start with the rebuild process. 

Right now, disk 12 would be showing up as emulated.  Unassign the drive, start the array, stop the array, re-assign the drive as disk 12 start the array.  It'll start building onto itself.

The drive completely dropped offline -> probably due to a cable connection issue.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

@Squid Disk 12 was rebuilt as we discussed and you had suggested, but I keep having errors. I have checked cables and everything looks good but no idea why the errors keep happening. Another disk failed, but that was a really old disk so I replaced it and now it is stuck mounting. the diagnostics I downloaded before stopping the array to restart is attached as well.

PLease - all help is welcome.

image.thumb.png.9e1e217ffae107a1ebca7eef76d3b493.png

tower-diagnostics-20220206-1206.zip