Remove NiC from server

2 hours ago, Theldron said:

Hi all, hope you are well.

I have a 2.5gb NIC card in my server taking a PCIe slot. I want to remove this to put a GPU in and just use the onboard NIC. Is there anything special I need to do in Unraid to make this smooth?

Thanks

Just make sure your onboard NIC is turned on. I would set everything to DHCP, then when you can get into the server you can easily configure the network settings back to what they were. The only thing I do is statically configure my NIC, that's it.

22 minutes ago, opentoe said:

Just make sure your onboard NIC is turned on. I would set everything to DHCP, then when you can get into the server you can easily configure the network settings back to what they were. The only thing I do is statically configure my NIC, that's it.

Ok brilliant thanks for the advice mate.

Hi, so the insertion of the GPU didn't go to plan, so tried to put back in the 2.5 NIC and put everything back the way it was, but now when I start the array the 2.5 NIC turns off. No lights nothing. Even the onboard NIC wont work.

Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried turning it on via command line terminal?

'ip link set up eth0' or 'sudo ip link set up eth0'.

If you happen to turn on the NIC, have some fun with these commands and their switches.

ifconfig

arp

netstat

IP address

IP route

nmap

ss

And there are plenty more. Some you may need to add. Don't forget the Nerd pack!!!